Sign in to follow this  
lisa35

school ??

Hi, just wondering what I can do re school,

last few weeks things escalated- 12 yr old son being sent out of a lot of lessons, bullied, loosing his temper,etc,etc

This is because of his proablle aspergers 9awaiting dx)- school agree he is 100% aspergers and two weeks ago have intervened and has one to one for one lesson daily from support, as well as being able to use senco room when stressed,etc,

However, he is missing more and more lessons, he spent whole day today off curriculum with his year head, and two lessons yday in "unit" for loosing temper and pushing a table

We saw educational Pysch on mOnday, she is very good, autism outreach seeing him tomorrow(but is unofficial as we dont have dx yet) and agrees that if interventions dont work we should consider statement around May, when she wants to meet again

However, it is worsening daily, to point his mental health is suffereing, we feel we need one to one more, if not every lesson

Ive written to school(Im keeping copies of alkl letters), ythis is the letter, am i right???

Dear ,

We are writing re events yesterday, we are concerned that J spent the entire day today off curriculum and spent two lessons yesterday in the unit. Whilst we accept that J had to be disciplined for his behaviour in the music lesson, J informed us that he was intervening and protecting another child that was being bullied and this is why he reacted so negatively when challenged.

We do not give permission for J to attend the after school detention and suggest it is completed in lunch time. J uses school transport and would have to wait an hour for the feeder bus, and was subjected to a physical assault last time this service was used.

Also, after discussion with J regarding the incident in PE it is evident that J was subject to taunts from other children, saying ?they hate him? and was kicked by a child wearing studded boots (E), pushed over by B and called names b. I believe this same group were involved in previous incidents

At the moment, despite real effort from yourselves, Joe is not coping, on the incidences he does have one to one support from Mrs M there are no issues and she is able to support J and intervene.

I have tried to contact Vicky , the Educational Psychologist today as we are concerned that we are subjecting J to extremely stressful situations in school, his anxiety levels are very high, and we intend to ask her if there is any other route available to obtain immediate one to one support for J This is not because we believe that the interventions currently being implemented in school are inappropriate, or that we don t appreciate the recent support, but because we feel that we can no longer put our son?s psychological health at risk.

We realise that J?s behaviour and needs are complex and believe the only way to support him effectively and facilitate his education and inclusion in school is with one to one support

Thanks for ongoing support

Anything else we can do

Thanks

Lisa

Guest Lya of the Nox

make sure gp knows, and consultant

and keep detailed diary

soo sorry it has come to this

you may be lucky and someone may sign him off, we never had that

x

Why wait till May for a statement, you don't need a DX (though does help), get the ball rolling now as it can take ages we sent a parential request for a statement in Oct and they have only just agreed to give him one and we are still awaiting the first proposal. Please don't let things go too far re school, my DS got to Yr 8 then had a break down and was signed off.

Like Lya says keep a detailed diary and keep all paries regularly informed.

Clare x x x

Why wait till May for a statement, you don't need a DX (though does help), get the ball rolling now as it can take ages we sent a parential request for a statement in Oct and they have only just agreed to give him one and we are still awaiting the first proposal. Please don't let things go too far re school, my DS got to Yr 8 then had a break down and was signed off.

Like Lya says keep a detailed diary and keep all paries regularly informed.

Clare x x x

Thankyou xx

just getting bit tired xxx

Hi Lisa.If your DS is not coping in school due to probable AS then you do not need to wait for a DX to start the assessment process.We went through Statutary Assessment and assesment for Dx at the same time with Ben.He had little support in school and his behaviour and ability to cope was deteriorating.

The COP does allow urgent assessment....I will find the info later this morning.

School should not be using disciplinary measures such as detention if it is probable that your child's difficulties are being caused be anxiety or stress due to lack of appropriate support for SEN.They need to address the cause.Do keep a written record of all times when your child is subject to sanctions....it will be useful as evidence in any request for a Statutary Assessment.

It is also worth checking that any support that is provided is documented.The LEA will want to examine what support has been provided at SA and SAplus.It is less likely that the LEA will agree to a Statutary Assessment if there is not documentary evidence that the school have exhausted the resources that are delegated to support your DS.Karen.

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=612

This is the Forum page that includes information on the Code of Practice....and the link to it.

Section 7.30 includes information regarding children who may need immediate referral for Stat Assessment.It does include situations where a child's behaviour is deteriorating and there is an urgent need for intervention from external agencies.

Section 7.21 includes information regarding a request for Statutary Assessment made by a parent.

So you could try pushing the school to request a Statutary Assessment now on the grounds that urgent assessment is needed...as detailed in Section 7.30.

If the school state that they consider that the situation does not require such an urgent response then you could request an assessment yourself if you wish.Karen.

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=612

This is the Forum page that includes information on the Code of Practice....and the link to it.

Section 7.30 includes information regarding children who may need immediate referral for Stat Assessment.It does include situations where a child's behaviour is deteriorating and there is an urgent need for intervention from external agencies.

Section 7.21 includes information regarding a request for Statutary Assessment made by a parent.

So you could try pushing the school to request a Statutary Assessment now on the grounds that urgent assessment is needed...as detailed in Section 7.30.

If the school state that they consider that the situation does not require such an urgent response then you could request an assessment yourself if you wish.Karen.

Hi all, thanks so very much, thanks Karen too!had response from school , said that they still feel Joe needs to understand there are consequences for his actions, and I know any other childv wouldve been suspended for swearing at a teacher

She said she agrees that currents trategies are not working and Js stress is very high and ararnged another meeting April 15th to discuss further, with ed psych again.

Im also gonna speakt o Ed Pysch myself on monday to see a. if we have to wait that long and b. what we can do as emergency intervention

In a way him loosing it is good cos it proves that he DOES need the support cos none of the meltdowns occur whehen he ahs one to one

Thanks all

Lisa xxxx

Hi Lisa

I know you know that your son needs to learn consequences of his actions, but his actions are in extreamly stressful situation and of which are where your son is recieving assualts or preventing someone from been assualted.

His high stress levels will have a massive impact on his ability to cope appropriatly and it could be that he may well go too far soon, I would really start the process yourself for the statement your son has a much better chance if you do it, rather than the school.

Its clear that your son is reacting in a way because he is in a situation he isnt coping with.

Its very suspicous too that they want to wait until after May, mmm just after the years budget comes into play, no I would start it now, write the letter requesting the statementing process starts today!

I know you want the school to see what your son can do but what you dont want is it to come across in a way that places him in an unsuitable enviroment such as a placement for disruptive pupils go to.

If things continue I cant see it taking very long where it may start to effect the times even when he has 1-1 because his mental and emotional health will start to be effected by not been given the right support.

JsMum

Hi, this is why I want to speak to Ed Pysch on Monday, she seemed very supportive , I also realise that his behaviours would not have happened if hed had one to one support, I intend to use this to say the difference it makes., im going to ask ed Psych first, think it ll be better if she can support us thro process, its been hard three years, we re also almost at diagnosis, which we ve fough and fough for, not sure Im ready to fight LEA alone yet xxx

Lisa

Hi Lisa ..........had to reply as your boy seems so much like mine :wub: , I agree totally in getting the ball moving for an assessment/statement.I,d ask the ed physch about this when you speak to her.My son was,nt dx when we applied for a statement ,but his mental health was an issue and because the assessment includes input from camhs he was dx this way.Best of luck suzex