Sign in to follow this  
KateBall

Performance tomorrow

My ds (9 1/2) is taking part in some sort of talent show/ entertainment in front of school and parents. They do this in groups / pairs / individually and I suppose I am pleased he was able to find someone who would do something with him but I am dead scared it will all end in tears. He thinks he can do things which he can't - so he is fairly confident but the reality might not be good and I just can't imagine how it will turn out. They have told me at school that he will be fine so I suppose I had better wait and see and maybe it will go ok. I'm just worried that everyone will laugh at him for the wrong reasons.

Also - and I'm sorry for being so selfish here - I don't think I can bare to watch all those other children perform their little routines for me to think how clever they are. It makes me feel like they are rubbing my nose in it - the fact that my ds isn't as capable as them. I hate it. I will feel like walking out when I have seen ds perform his piece cos I don't want to see the others but I probably won't. If I did I'd feel guilty at being so selfish and if I don't I'd feel so rotten and sad for my ds. I hate these type of things.

Edited by KateBall

>:D<<'> Hi Kate

I know what you mean absolutely. Every year at my son's autism unit they insist in the children taking part in the mainstream sports and every year I wear sunglasses as I always end up crying. For some children it's quite right that they take part but my son doesn't have a clue what it's about so has his hand held by a helper and the chorus of 'aahhs' of sympathy as he runs past (meant nicely by the other parents) is too much to bear.

You are right that you have to let him do it (imo) but I can understand your apprehension.

Elun x >:D<<'>

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> Kate

Ben's teacher this year understands him very well.When the class assembly comes round he nearly always takes on the role of ICT technician which suits him to down to the ground. :) Karen.

Hope his show goes well. I know exactly how you feel, especially the bit about the other kids performing,I feel like that too. :tearful: , not sure how old your son is but mine had some very stressful sports days/assemblies, and a really awful nativity :crying: in which he could,nt cope at all,(with hindsight I should have pulled him out for his own sake), however he,s older now and high school don,t seem to do this sort of thing aws much.Theres no way you could get him to do anything involving a show now anyway.He has his talents in science and history and thankfully high school hasgiven him the oppurtunity to shine at this.

........really hope it went well today for him , people don,t know how much harder our kids have to try in situations like this, best wishes suzex

Well it was today. And it was no big deal. It went ok. He said he was really nervous and had stagefright but thankfully his group were early on so he got it out of the way. And it was actually ok watching the other kids too - none of them were precocious or anything. They all cheered for everyone so they were really a very good audience. Actually I thought many of them were doing sketches which were very "silly". I thought my ds was more mature. Took me by surprise since he is supposed to be the immature one!

Thats really good! :thumbs:

I was really worried about my little boys first nativity but in the end he has an awful sick and diahorrea bug in the weeks leading up to christmas as did a lot of the other kids, so at least it wasn't just him who missed out. Also I felt a bit selfish, because I was relieved in a way that he wasn't well and that he didn't have to be in it because although he really enjoyed learning the songs, he had big issues about wearing the costume though.

I am really glad it had such a positive outcome! Nice one! :thumbs: