Sign in to follow this  
lisa35

sociialising

Son currently kicking off, he would happily stay in front of laptop 24/7- Ive said tomorrow we re going bowling with a friend and his little girl

Hes creating ,says hes no good at bowling, doesnt know em,etc,etc

So am I doing totally wrong thing-reality is I know he finds these things so hard-but in real world- he will have tl learn from such situations-meet new people,etc

I chose the particular person cos hes a good friend, his daughter is young-so they wont pressure him or make out hes weird

Or do I sit in house 24/7 with him!!

X

No, you're right, he has to learn how to fit into the real world but there's room for compromise.

Maybe he feels you've sprung it on him too quickly. I usually give J a week's notice when we're doing something (it's on his timetable) and remind him as it approaches. I explain what we'll be doing, who's involved, how long it will last etc and if it's something I know he'll struggle with I'll build in some reward for positive behaviour once the activity is over. Sometimes it's useful to take turns with choice of activity, so maybe next time you go out with your friend you could ask your son what he'd like to do instead of you making the decision.

Keep at it though, you are right and he can't sit at home all his life!

Karen

x

Son currently kicking off, he would happily stay in front of laptop 24/7- Ive said tomorrow we re going bowling with a friend and his little girl

Hes creating ,says hes no good at bowling, doesnt know em,etc,etc

So am I doing totally wrong thing-reality is I know he finds these things so hard-but in real world- he will have tl learn from such situations-meet new people,etc

I chose the particular person cos hes a good friend, his daughter is young-so they wont pressure him or make out hes weird

Or do I sit in house 24/7 with him!!

X

Ben is similar to your DS.He sometimes becomes upsett even when the activity is one he will enjoy so it is very frustrating.

We tend to follow through with what we have planned even if Ben is frustrated.I feet that if we give in and change plans then it increases the chances of Ben becoming cross next time we decide to do something he finds difficult.Karen.

Aww, hope you all had a good time, and in particular your son enjoyed it more than he expected. As a shy AS teenager no good at most school sports, when I first went with school in final year it was something I really enjoyed. Some 20 years on, now 36, I still enjoy it with my main group of social friends here.

thanks all-he was fine, infact, my friend is a bit quirky too- so son eas like another adult with him, and he bought the little girll a pack of sweets- bless

You re right tho, I did spring it on hi9m ,usually Im much better and organised, kidded myself we were "normal" for a while!!

Lisa