Sign in to follow this  
cattubb

other families in Jersey?....

Hi everyone,

I desperately wanting to meet up with some other families in the same situation as us but have so far been unsuccessful. I live in Jersey and as far as I can see there are only coffee mornings run by the local branch of the NAS (who, I must say are brilliant support) however they have recently been cancelled because there is some changes going on at the premises where they are usually held (????).

Has anyone got any suggestions? Anyone else on here from Jersey?

I think it would be excellent for my family and others like us to have a support group of some sort but i don't know where to start!

I personally feel totally isolated at the moment. My son is in a mainstream school and although all the mums are really friendly and always inviting us out etc. Its just impossible for me with my 2 (DS,5, AS and DD,2,NT) DS and DD are both 'runners'. I have never met another family with ASD children or, indeed, another child on the spectrum. I have asked several people in the position to do so to put me in touch, but nothings ever come about. The result - its the easter hols, its sunny and we're stuck in the house for 2 weeks while everyone else is at the park/beach/zoo with their NT kids (ooops sorry went off on a bit of a moany/sulky/feel sorry for myself tangent there)

Anyway, as I said, time to do something positive myself but I have no idea where to start.

Any suggestions would be massively appreciated!!

Thanks

Cat

Hey Cat,

are you involved with CAMHS at all? You could try putting up posters there, in GP waiting rooms/Health centres etc to try and set up a support group. As far as I can see, if support groups are set up, its done by parents/carers of ASD kids or by adult autists themselves. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, anyone!! ;)

Perhaps you could try contacting your local paper, they might run a feature where you could ask parents in a similar situation to contact you and get a group set up? It does rather depend on how much time you could put into it, right enough, but if you do manage to get a group going, then there are several agencies/organisations that you could contact with a view to getting proffesionals etc along to give talks, or demonstrate play therapies.....you could even set up pamper sessions for members! Indian head massage=BLISS!!! :P

Your local NAS branch might be able to give you advice on this kind of thing too..

Good luck!!

Esther x

Sadly I'm not in your area, Cattub but I'd like to visit! :)

I've just edited your title though, to name the place, hopefully it will attract responses from any members in your area.

K x

Edited by Kathryn

hi, im nowhere near you but i totally understand how you feel . my son is 6 plus i have 4 year old twins - we think boy twin may have as too

im quite lucky as i seem to have found friends with other children on the spectrum plus we do have various clubs supports groups here

i hope someone closer pick up your message

otherwise it looks like we all need to head out to jersey for our holidays!!!!! :thumbs:

Well the sun is shining and its gorgeous here so i'd say it would def be a good place for a holiday!! :thumbs:

Thanks for your ideas Esther, i sent an e-mail to our local NAS last night to see what they thought and see if they had any ideas also.

I'm really keen on setting up a support group having thought about it loads over the last couple of days, my only reservation is are there enough families in our situation on the Island to warrent setting one up. I'm sure there must be after all there is a population of approx 85000 here!!

Thanks again for your replies!

Cat xx

Hi Cat

I too live in Jersey. I am really sorry that you are feeling so isolated at the moment.

I have a son, 8 DX AS & ADHD and a daughter 4 NT. J goes to mainstream school with a provision attached. Since moving from his old school (which was awful in so many ways) we get huge amounts of support from the school and have obviously met other parents.

The local NAS are organising a night out this Friday for a meal etc. Not sure where yet, but please PM me and I will let you know. Hopefully, you may already have received an e.mail as you were in contact with them last week. It would be great to meet you.

You could also try contacting The Bridge. I did a parenting course before J was DX, led by an Ed Pysch and the Parenting Support lady, which whilst not ASD specific was for parents of children with more "challenging" behaviours. This was just fantastic and for the first time I met other parents who were going through very similiar issues with behaviour, school etc. They supplied a creche as well and couldn't have been more helpful.

Also, what about a Befriender? We applied just a few weeks ago and my son is already matched up! This could be an extra pair of hands for you so that you can get out and about.

Finally let the NAS know if you are interested in holiday provision. For the last couple of years J has attended a holiday club during the summer and Easter holidays. It runs school hours and is staffed mostly by keyworkers from school. You can pick and choose what sessions: I normally use about 2 weeks over the summer and a few days at Easter. However, it didn't run this holidays as there wasn't sufficient demand!!! It has worked well for us, J gets to do lots of fun activities and gets taken all over the place and I get some time with my daugther when we can do the things she really likes to do.

Hope this helps. Please PM if you want to chat or meet up.

Kaz