sarahponari

Question re DLA

My daughter currently gets middle rate care of DLA. This was applied for before her diagnosis of ASD, and she is also 3 next month, so i just wondered what i do about telling them and applying for mobility, can i just fill out a new form online and mention she already gets it but i wanted to claim mobility too or do i have to ring them up?

either ring them and tell them you know have a diagnoses or write and tell them. What ever you do you want to a review of her award because of the diagnoses. BUT be aware a review means just that and there is the chance they will remove your existing award. You may feel it more beneficial to re-apply when your award is up for renewal.

Think about it carefully before acting...awful thing to say I know but that's the way they work.

either ring them and tell them you know have a diagnoses or write and tell them. What ever you do you want to a review of her award because of the diagnoses. BUT be aware a review means just that and there is the chance they will remove your existing award. You may feel it more beneficial to re-apply when your award is up for renewal.

Think about it carefully before acting...awful thing to say I know but that's the way they work.

Hi

I agree with justamum.

I too was awarded DLA for my son prior to diagnosis. A diagnosis makes no difference whatsoever. What could happen is that if you apply for mobility, you may well end up with lower rate care. It's a bit of a risk. I was given this advice from NAS when attended the help! programme and have since heard this from others. I'd be very cautious - in fact, I haven't applied for mobility at all despite the fact that I do think we'd be entitled.

Caroline.

thanks for the advice, how do i know when it is up for renewal?

i never knew they might put the care rate down, i think she has more problems now than when we first applied but maybe i would be better to just leave it for now

you will be sent a renewal pack a fair while before renewal is due but it will also say on your award letter the period of time it covers, i.e 4/4/2008 up and including 4/4/2009 sort of thing.

If it is felt, and you can prove it via professionals like your GP, she has more problems than when you applied then you should ask for a review due to increased circumstances. I did this once (I am disabled) as I went from being a hop-a-long to being in a wheelchair for a while. I already had higher rate mobility but they added low rate care....just from a letter.

You need to think if she is far worse and you have the back up before going ahead or not.

Always claim for every aspect of DLA, what you consider as not being entitled my just turn out to be entitled. My son, got the low rate of mobility and middle rate care. I didn't think he would get mobility and I thought only low rate care. He has no diagnoses. I did have to ask for the decision to be looked at again, I asked to go straight to appeal no review, as he was turned down at first. The decision was over turned within 7 days!

I have however been told to ask for a review of care to high rate and I shall do that once we have a fully written diagnoses.