Sign in to follow this  
peppa

Reflex anoxic syndrome

Hi everyone,

A few days ago i recieved the report from our last visit with dd's pead, only to be suprised to find under the heading for diagnosis there is now a new condition been added, Reflex Anoxic Syndrome.(RAS)

I''ve had a look around the internet and this seems most definatley what dd has. However was suprised that the diagnosis was given when we are still awaiting a sedated EEG, to rule other things out.

The thing that concerned me the most regarding RAS, which was repeated on all the sites that i looked at, was that apparantly when someone is having a seizure, their body momentarily goes into cardiac arrest, and the brain and lungs can stop working! Also it mentions that sufferers can experience out of body experiences and near death experiences!

Apparantly they can last anything from a few seconds (which is the usual with dd), up to a few hours (dd's first seizure lasted over three hours).

I've rang and left a message for pead to contact me so i can talk through my concerns, but i prob won't hear back till after the weekend.

Was wondering if anyone else was familiar with RAS and could shed some light for me, because must say its all a little bit worrying really.

:unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Oh gawd, you must be worried. Have you been on this epilepsy forum? http://www.epilepsyforum.org.uk/

It's got a lot of expertise on there and someone might have some answers. We do have an expert there but she's doing the Run for Epilepsy tomorrow so might not reply for a couple of days!

Hope you get some answers from the paed too.

A x

Oh gawd, you must be worried. Have you been on this epilepsy forum? http://www.epilepsyforum.org.uk/

It's got a lot of expertise on there and someone might have some answers. We do have an expert there but she's doing the Run for Epilepsy tomorrow so might not reply for a couple of days!

Hope you get some answers from the paed too.

A x

Thanks i'll check that out.

x