Sign in to follow this  
Mumble

Java

Could someone please explain to me in English, not computer gobbledygook, what Java and Sun management are (other than what Baggy does to turn orange), how cookies work and the implications to me/my computer of the changes to my Internet settings I've had to make following installing Java so I can run Web-CT?

The only difference I've noticed is that my Internet is running really slowly (in comparison to before) - but it could be a coincidence.

Oh, and I have a little piccy in my system tray that looks like a steaming cup of tea. Does this now mean that my computer is going to wake me in the morning with a nice cuppa and an oatmeal & raisin cookie? :eat::unsure:

Hi mumble... it's not a cup of tea, it's a cup of coffee! - Java coffee, to be precise, and sadly it's not gonna wake you up in the morning :( (actually, there's another programme that's part of spybot called 'teatimer', so it's possible to have teatime and coffee time both sitting in your taskbar at the same time and neither of them actually deliver you a beverage of any type - chiz chiz)...

java is just an add-on to your internet browser (it's now a bit more than that, but let's keep it as straightforward as possible, 'cos this is a case of the blind leading the blind!) that lets your pc run certain protocols that are used in certain programmes/pages online and 'communicate' with them - think of it a bit like 'quicktime' or 'mediaplayer' or 'flashplayer' and it does a similar (but not the same) thing.

Sun management are the people who make Java (it's actually 'sun microsystems' - maybe this is what you meant?)...

My guess is you already had java installed on your PC (most do) but when you installed your new Web-ct software it had some new elements that your old version of java didn't include, and it directed you to download the newer version to make your system fully compatable...

None of that should technically make your PC run more slowly, but it's possible that the fresh install/update of java changed some security settings which have slowed things down. Alternatively, it could be your firewall making its mind up about the new 'tools' java is running, or, possibly a lovely 'free' tool bar or something that came with Web-ct or the newer version of java that's running in the background (it's blumming annoying, but i.e. yahoo search toolbar is getting included in loads of updates at the mo, and unless you specify you don't want it it gets installed as standard). If you've any new toolbars, try to disable or uninstall them unless you specifically want them..

As for the coffee cup, if you right click on it and 'open java control panel' you can elect to hide it or not to run it on start up - that way you'll only see it when it's being used online or it's updating itself. Java control panel also has some other options, but leave well alone unless you're sure what you're doing.

Cookies - these are mostly harmless 'bookmarks' stored on your computer so that when you go back to a website you've visited it remembers the pages you've previously looked at and stuff like that. Useful little things! Sometimes they can be a bit more sinister, but any good spyware detector will winkle out the naughtier ones and suggest you delete them.

The only other slight worry if your computer is slowing down is that viruses and malaware occassionally 'pretend' to be something to do with java. Update all your virus definitions and spyware definitions and run them.. If you get the all clear, you've probably got nothing to worry about :)

Hope that helps

:D

Sun Microsystems are the company who make Java.

Java is just a program for running certain content in your web browser. It isn't entirely essential if you aren't visiting sites that have Java content. I am assuming you installed it while visiting a site which used Java, since such a site will prompt you to install it to view it properly.

To make it easier to visualise it is like having a CD player and a CD. You can't play a CD without a CD player, and you can't play Java content without Java player. This goes for Flash player, Shockwave player, etc.

Cookies are small files stored on your computer so that when you return to a site it can read that information. They are used for everything from saving your shopping baskets to tracking your visits to the site.

If your PC is slowing it may be time either uninstall some programs, or reformat. I recently reformated to speed up my home PC. I just saved my files to an external hard-drive and copied them back after reinstalling windows