Sign in to follow this  
bluefish

What do you think?

Hi. just wondered if any of you had thought about puting your knowledge on paper for other parents about your journey down th dx road? I was thinking of typing something up to give to HV to give to any parents that are about to embark on this dificult time.... ie what happens at cdc,who they might meet (proffesionals) any tips for filling in dla forms what they may be entiteled to (ie essensial tariff gass,electric, bus pass etc.) Also any info about statementing,support groups and so on that is area spesific .also info on forums like this where parents/carers can get help ,advice anyone think this could be worth doing? I just feel it has taken a long time to find everything out and If i could cut a few courners for another parent it might help them?

My HV has been pointing bewildered parents in my direction for a while now - she thinks I am a gem cos I now run the local NAS branch, so she gets all sorts of info chucked at her to pass on the parents she meets and all the other HV's she meets too.

I think it's a brilliant thing to do - if your HV has as many autistic kids on her patch as mine does, then I bet she'll appreciate it.

Nikki.

Interesting idea Bluefish. Although everyone's journey is unique to some extent. I had a completely different experience re dx, statutory assessment and statementing to someone else who lives only a few miles away in the same county, for example. Even people in the same town as me are having different experiences. There are so many variables - and written information may quickly become out of date. Those are the pitfalls in my opinion.

But if by doing what you suggest, you could point another parent in the right direction for help, and assure them they aren't alone, it'd be a worthwhile exercise, in my opinion. Nothing like this was available for me and I would have been completely isolated and clueless if it hadn't been for this forum. There are many parents who don't have access to the internet and so are cut off from the support and information that would empower them.

K x

i think it sounds like a gr8 idea i am allways trying to find info and go round and round in circles lol

the people who hav helped and supported me the most r the people i have met on here and im indebted to them

love donnaxxx