hsmum

A little concerned

Hello,

I have just had a meeting with my son's headmaster. I could not attend my son's (H's)review and I wanted to know what was happening with respect to the school instigating statutory assessment. The headmaster said that the school had not applied for assessment because they still needed to explore other strategies to help H. However, H has been on Action Plus status for over three years, he is three years behind his peers academically, he has emotional problems that impact upon his learning and the SENCo and head are unclear about how these difficulties are being addressed. Although H has made excellent progress with his reading, I cannot see a lot of progress in other areas. Surely the school should have been looking at other strategies before now, and if they have, then the results suggest that these strategies have not worked as well as they could. What concerns me is that if H's behavioural and academic problems continue, he is going to reach seondary school seriously disadvantaged and there will be no legal obligation for anyone to supply the type of support he needs. I realise that H still has two years to go, but I want things put in place now.

Musch as I respect the school and the headmaster, I do not think H's needs are being attended to as effectively as they should be. Should I simply wait to see what strategies the school put in place, or should I voive my concerns now?

Any advice would be appreciated.

My son is nine years old and has a diagnosis of Asperger Syndrome and other learning difficulties.

Hi, I've no advice I'm afraid as JP left school a while back & I'm getting out of date with current stuff, but thought I'd bump this in case anyone else has.

Three years is a long time. I think going for the stat. assessment yourself would be a good idea - you've got nothing to lose. If there are other strategies which the school haven't yet tried, the prospect of having to account for what they're doing to the LEA and maybe at a tribunal hearing, may focus them and get them to put the support in a lot quicker. On the other hand, if the evidence you put in shows that there really is nothing more the school can do can do without extra resources, there's a strong chance you'll get the assessment.

Good to keep the school on your side if you can by telling them what you're doing. In support of your request, you will need to consider what objective evidence you have for your son's difficulties and lack of progress, such as IEP's reports and evidence from other professionals.

K x.