Sign in to follow this  
shamu

NON visual learners?

For ages now I've been sure that James is in the minority in that he is definitely NOT a visual learner. He doesn't look at pictures, doesn't engage with books/photos/TV etc and we've abandoned PECS as he had been at the same stage (step 2 where they move with the card) for over 9 months as he couldn't get the discrimination step. We've tried things like a visual timetable and symbols but he prefers to rip the velcro and chew the cards....

Has anyone else got experience of a non visual learner? So many of the resources out there seem to be targetted at visual stuff that I really struggle with helping/supporting him. He has no/limited expressive language and his receptive language is pretty delayed too.

Help??!!!

Thanks

Shamu

;)

Sounds exactly like my Ben. 6 years old.Non-verbal. Non-visual. Understands exchanging a picture in pecs but the picture could be of anything. doesn't discriminate at all so Pecs has ground to a halt. Doesn't watch TV. I always thought that I did not want a child who spent all his time watching TV or playing computer games. Now I find myself wishing he would just watch for a little while because he finds it very hard to occupy himself and so can be quite demanding. Not interested in books other than to tap the page so will feel touchy feely books but is not really looking at them. Communication is a big problem. He tells me somethings he wants by taking my hand to them or leading me to them but obviously this is very limited. He gets very frustrated when we dont understand him and then can be violent. My arms are constantly covered in scratch and bite marks. Can do instant mood swings between happy and very angry but cant tell us why. Still in nappies and no sign of that improving although does understand that when I sit him on the toilet I want him to wee. But he simply prefers not to if he can avoid it. Having said all that he is very loving and affectionate. Gives loads of cuddles and has a wonderful laugh that you cant help joining in with and is a pleasure to be with. And I am developing patience and tolerance that I never though I would be capable of!!

I should add that I am no help to you whatsoever cos I dont know what to do either. Also very limited receptive language. Chews pecs cards too!! Can follow very basic instructions like pick that up. Give that to mummy etc but only if he feels like doing it.

My Dd is not a visual learner either and doesn't like the way her (special) school tries to force it on her, on the basis that "all autistic children need timetables, schedule strips and PECs cards".

When her receptive language wasn't good, we had to teach her everything by hand over hand, and backward chaining. As it got better, with verbal instructions added. She does like books and stories, so social stories work quite well with her, but she still has no interest in a timetable or a sequence strip. On the plus side, once she has mastered a skill she can do it anywhere as she isn't tied to the need for a visual reminder on the wall. On the negative side, it does take a bit longer to get to that point.

For ages now I've been sure that James is in the minority in that he is definitely NOT a visual learner. He doesn't look at pictures, doesn't engage with books/photos/TV etc and we've abandoned PECS as he had been at the same stage (step 2 where they move with the card) for over 9 months as he couldn't get the discrimination step. We've tried things like a visual timetable and symbols but he prefers to rip the velcro and chew the cards....

Has anyone else got experience of a non visual learner? So many of the resources out there seem to be targetted at visual stuff that I really struggle with helping/supporting him. He has no/limited expressive language and his receptive language is pretty delayed too.

Help??!!!

Thanks

Shamu

;)

My daughter isnt a visual learner, but she cant be, she is partially sighted so cannot make use of visual prompts such as pecs. Instead we have to use hand over hand and tactile prompts.

How old is your son? How severe are his LD's? It might be that he doesnt understand what you want of him yet, or it could be that he isnt, like you say, a visual learner. A tactile approach might work better for him.