Sign in to follow this  
gothschild

Scared to bits!

My son has AS and is terrified of dogs, lifts and the dark, and I'm not sure how I should be handling this. I have been told that I may be able to get some kind of help for him in dealing with these phobias and wondered if anyone had any experience of this?

It is becoming difficult to take him out to a lot of places. The dog thing is the worst, he either freezes or does his best to avoid the animal which has resulted in him running onto the road twice.

He also seems to have a problem with anything messy, little splashes of food on the table when we are eating, have to be cleaned up immeadiately or he begins to feel sickly. I've noticed that he is washing his hands quite alot aswell. Who is the best professional to see about this?

Thankyou for any suggestions x

Hiya, gothschild. Not sure I can offer much help, but I am in the same boat as you. My lad is terrified of dogs as well and has suffered with many different phobias over the years. At the moment, he has a fear of level crossing and, despite constant assurances, whenever we cross our local one on the way to town, he skips across in a panic thinking a train will suddenly appear, Bugs Bunny style, and mow him down. :rolleyes: He reacts to dogs just like your lad, although he is getting a bit less fearful than he was. He used to crouch over and put his arms over his head when he saw one anywhere remotely near, and there are dogs EVERYWHERE! He'd go into panic skipping about mode if one ran up close to us and he was becoming fearful of leaving the house for fear of seeing one. As I say, he is slowly getting a bit less panicky, maybe it's just a question of growing out of some phobias, I know it has been the case for many of the fears he has suffered with over the years. I did see a programme once about a lad who was terrified of dogs, they did a CBT programme with him, slowly exposing him to dogs nearer and nearer to him until he lost his fear and finally he actually got a dog of his own, don't know where you'd find out about this though.

Sorry, no help, I know, but you're not alone. >:D<<'>

~ Mel ~

Can you ask the medical profs involved in your sons care about therapy for OCD phobias maybe?

Edited by Abby