Sign in to follow this  
fiorelli

Off to see school SENCO about

P.

You may remember my post of the other day about my problems with L's younger brother P. Well, I had a meeting with the class teacher who seemed to be slightly shocked at some of the things I was saying to her (mostly regarding the levels of P's mood swings) - However - she did say that he has them in class, and that they have noticed a change in him from the beginning of the year to now.

We have an appointment with the SENCO this morning to discuss this. Am hoping that she'll be able to open up a few doors for us.

Will let you know how I get on later.

fixx

Well, I'm back. (school is 2 minutes down the road, and meeting was at 8.15am, school starts at 8.40)

It was a good meeting. (P was sat in the school library sharpening pencils for the SATS happening this week)

I hadn't realised, but his teacher was in the meeting as well. I had to explain everything again to the SENCO, and she asked if there was anything they could help with in school - and suggested lots of positive praise, in a bid to try and up his self esteem. Teacher told SENCO about how P's moods have changed within school since the beginning of the (school) year. About how he always used to come in telling about his weekend, but now won't. About how he is quite withdrawn whereas he was quite forward at beginning of the year. She also said about how P says that bruises and scratches L gives P are from 'play fighting'.

SENCO also said that yes, they can help. There is a choice of 3 avenues.

1. ELSA (Emotional learning support assistant), who is trained by the Educational psychologist to help children with emotional problems. She did however, stress that the ELSA was not a counsellor. She also said we would need to think about whether we wanted to really bring P's problems directly into school. (especially as P is at pains to try and keep it away from school)

2. Counsellor. There is a retired teacher from the school who is a trained counsellor. She has worked for Relate and Relateen. This teacher has offered private counselling to children within this school on a voluntary basis (meaning that we wouldn't have to pay for the counselling). It would be arranged with the counsellor where the counselling would be help, at home, at school, elsewhere.

3. CAMHS. We would have to go through the School Nurse (who is brilliant, gets things done and fairly quickly, have had experience of her in the past) for a referral to CAMHS. This would be for emotional support for P. Downside to this is that there is a long waiting list, so wouldn't be able to access until at least the new school year. (Would get process in motion now if we wanted this).

I am thinking 2 and 3. 2 to get some immediate support for P, while 3 is getting sorted out. (1 and 2 are not possible because of conflict of interest between the 2).

I felt a bit bad actually at the end of the meeting, as I looked at his teacher and her eyes were all puffy, red and weepy, as if she was going to cry. (I had already started but stopped myself before tears a couple of times - I am dreadful for crying!)

SENCO asked if she could pass what we had just talked about onto P's new teacher for next year. Yes. and also told me to use her as a 'constant'. I have actually come away quite happy that the SENCO hasn't just poo-pooed everything, and washed their hands of P saying there isn't anything they can do.

Hi, options 2 and 3 def sound the best route. How soon can they get things moving to get CAHMS referal? It's really good that they are listening and not fobbing you off.

How was P after the meeting?

Hope he was ok

Keep us informed as to what they're dooing next

Good Luck

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>