NobbyNobbs

moving out

does anyone know about options for where to live other than with parents?

i need a fair level of care to cope with everyday things, but living with my parents isn't ideal. they have two younger kids to cope with and it just isn't working out. now i'm out of university i really need to start looking at other options. so far i haven't been able to hold down a job as i become very anxious as soon as i'm tied to a particular location or duty, so there's no way i can afford to buy my own place, even if i could cope with living on my own. and as the product of a nice middle class family there's absolutely no way i can see to get a council house!

anyone got any ideas?

When I first moved out I moved into a room I rented from a colleague. It was set up by my employer, I did not know her personally beforehand.

I found it worked well as a first step, because I had so few responsibilities. My rent included all the bills (normally you have to pay for telephone use on top, but I did not use their telephone). I was already running a car and a mobile phone, so the new thing was buying and cooking my own food, and keeping my own room clean and tidy.

You may be entitled to Housing Benefit, but many private landlords do not accept it. The problem is that most people would not want someone who is at home all the time.

Have you considered studying further?

i'm actually still officially at university next year, but am studying as a (very long) distance learner because i had so much trouble with living away from home. basically i stop eating and sleeping because there's noone to tell me to do those things. at the moment i have no responsibilities except feeding and cleaning my hamster - my one achievement. ive fed and cleaned her perfectly for over a year! so i'm mostly just looking into my options and getting an idea of what i need to be able to do before i can 'grow up' and move out!

my parents are fine with me staying with them but they drive me nuts if i'm home too long and i'm sure eventually i'm going to want to have my own home and all that stuff.

does anyone know about options for where to live other than with parents?

i need a fair level of care to cope with everyday things, but living with my parents isn't ideal. they have two younger kids to cope with and it just isn't working out. now i'm out of university i really need to start looking at other options. so far i haven't been able to hold down a job as i become very anxious as soon as i'm tied to a particular location or duty, so there's no way i can afford to buy my own place, even if i could cope with living on my own. and as the product of a nice middle class family there's absolutely no way i can see to get a council house!

anyone got any ideas?

Hello NobbyNobbs....i've just read your question, with interest, as I have a 19yr old son with Aspbergers who is in the same situation as yourself. I wonder if you would reconsider the option of "council accommodation" as local authority housing isn't all "council houses in socially deprived areas". Some local authorities have properties (one bedroomed flats) with "assisted living/supported living". May I suggest that you phone your local authority housing department and make enquiries or ask someone to do it on your behalf.