Sign in to follow this  
peaches

When a new member of the family arrives ...

My little boy of 5 1/2 is "likely" to have an ASD, he already has a little sister of 2 1/2. Sometimes he can be quite difficult about sharing and turn tanking etc but as he has had 2 1/2 years to get used to her he isnt too bad. The worst thing is his hugs (for hug read strangulation!).

His birth parents had another child and she is in care, age 1 year. She will be coming to live with us soon. He met her last week at her birthday party and was quite charmed by her. They were similar in so many ways that he got on better with her than her little sister did. He stated he would like her to share his bedroom, and we have decided that this actuallyl might be easier than moving him to the small room and letting the new arrival share with his sister. The disruption of moving him would upset him more we think than sharing his room.

How did you cope with your ASD child when another member joined the family?

I think the room share may work in the short-term, but long-term, the 2 nearest in age and both girls would be better together, would he disturb her when going to bed at night? would she disturb him if she wakes, etc etc. although it will be difficult for him, I am sure all this would have been talked about whilst you were going through the prepartion for approval and everyone must have thought your son could cope! wishing you all the best on your new arrival!!! Enid

I think the room share may work in the short-term, but long-term, the 2 nearest in age and both girls would be better together, would he disturb her when going to bed at night? would she disturb him if she wakes, etc etc. although it will be difficult for him, I am sure all this would have been talked about whilst you were going through the prepartion for approval and everyone must have thought your son could cope! wishing you all the best on your new arrival!!! Enid

Yes, its a tricky one. But the middle girl (2 1/2) is really the worst sleeper of the three of them. She wakes every night whereas the other two dont at the moment. Eventually, I know the girls will have to go together. Earlier in the year we tried both kids that are already with me in one room. The youngest found it most difficult to settle, and our boy complained that she wasnt settling down!

I suppose there is another way, but we dont want to share our bedroom atm, and we certainly dont want to move house. We are all so happily settled here it would be crazy.