Sign in to follow this  
bluefish

sen timetable

Hi, I got a copy of ds sen timetable today and its awful!

He is 4 and going into reception.

He has 15 hrs statement.

His hours will be split between two lsa's which I am not that happy about but can understand why school might do this.

But the way it has worked out he not only has both lsa's on same day but within the same morning and afternoon

i.e in a two hour period of the day he has one lsa for 1 and half hrs then the other for half an hour.After lunch he has one for 25mins and the other for 30mins!!!!!! This happens every day!

I spoke with senco who did timetable and they said thats the way it worked out! seven sen kids share 3 lsa's. I explaind this in no way meet my childs needs and a session of 25 mins was crazy as no sooner activity started it will be over and precious mins will be lost in each session. Not to mention how confussed ds will be.

Also spoke to ht who agreed it was not good for my son, she would get senco to look at it againBUT I would have to compromise as I could not have what I want (2hrs with same lsa morning and 1hr pm with one teacher) as this could affect other children???????????????? :wallbash::crying:

Any way senco looked at timetable again and improved it but stiil have sessions with two lsas in a two hour period. :wallbash:

I feel so strongly that I am planning to look at other schools.

Can I demand my sons timetable reflects his special needs? ie coping with change!!!!

I have a great relationship with school but do not understand if they have the hours why this "make do and mend" timetable is possible

Thanks for any suggestions in advance

Hi bluefish,

Speaking with other head ( L.S.A.) as opposed to parent of son A/S (18yrs) I know that an LSA isn't meant to support the same child for more than 10hrs weekly. This is because the work can be mentally exhausting, depending on the child and their difficulties. The child often becomes attached to the LSA and cannot cope with anyone else if the LSA is not available.

But the hours you are requesting are below that level anyway. I could be wrong but it looks to me as though the LSA's are having to fit in their lunch in between your sons support time and this is what could be affected.

So making a perfectly reasonable request of 2 hours morning LSA - A and 1 hour afternoon LSA - B for your son could affect other children.

This is for the school to sort out. It shouldn't be used to make you feel unreasonable.

What about the present arrangement not only could affect your child. It will affect your child.

Julieann