jlp

Rocky time

Ds#1 is so stressed at the minute he's exploding every few minutes.

He's moving to an ASD unit attatched to a mainstream school and has been looking forward to it but had his first full morning there yesterday and there were various things that upset him (including one little lad getting very upset and hitting people - not ds - when he heard a bin waggon). He's now decided he's not going there 'because they're all mental' (Mental being a new word - he was called it at his current school this week). He is going but I'm going to worry whether this is the right place and about September.

He's been really stressed over the school fun day and the fact that it rained, then he had a horrible time at the new school, returned to his old school to discover that his class were having a go on the bouncy castle and he couldn't go on because he had odd socks (!), took him home and got matching socks then returned only to have another tantrum because his class weren't on it any more. He was persuaded in eventually to have a go with a friend then there was an announcement that Sports day was cancelled and the school was closing due to a sickness bug, mostly amongst the staff.

They go back on Thursday hopefully but his support worker is striking and not sure if he'll cope. It's quite sad he's missing his very last week at this school - we have little party bags to give out and gifts for staff and there's a farewell book going around that's gone missing and no teacher to chase it up.

Anyway, hopefully he'll calm down after a week or two on holiday. The way both boys have been these last 2 days, I'm really doubting my ability to cope with them these holidays - if it's not one having a tantrum it's the other or they're trying to kill each other!

Oh no, really sorry it's all gone wrong at the last hurdle. To be honest, I'm a bit surprised that they agreed to a visit in the last week of term, as it's always so disorganised and unsettled - not the best of environments for a transition visit as ideally you'd want everything to be calm and ordered.

Tbh there were so many unavoidables in all that so it's not surprised he flipped (and knowing G, it doesn't take a lot anyway). Really hope he settles down over the summer and is more amenable to the new school by September.

What about L, how did his visits go?

Karen

x

L has decided he's not going either and I was called in for A Word after his visit. He wouldn't do a thing they asked him and was generally v naughty! We're finished now with the visits, just waiting for September, eek.

One of the children in the unit who he particularly clashed with is leaving and won't be there in September but I am a bit concerned - in mainstream the other children in his class are pretty accomodating whereas in the unit they're going to be just like G!

Got to go as G now crying in the passage.