Sign in to follow this  
gothschild

Taste sensitivity

Hi everyone,

My son keeps saying that he can taste things he has ate, for a long time after he has finished eating them. It seems to concern him a bit and he has asked if it is because of his AS.

I guess its something to do with sensory issues he already has trouble with noises, smells and touch. What do you think?

gothschild x

Hiya, I'm not entirely sure if it is related to AS or not.... I have this difficulty too, and just thought it was the way I was, but hadn't thought it might be related to AS. Sometimes I'll eat something I really enjoy then after a while I sort of relive the taste... not the same as when you eat onions or something... it usually happens with things that don't leave an after taste IYKWIM. The last time it happened I'd had a poached egg and really enjoyed it, but then all day I was 'reliving' the eating of this egg to the point that I nearly threw up. Weird.

Flo' :D

Has he been seen by an occupational therapist? My son has this and is majorly fussy over what he will eat aswel n it is due to sensory avoidance disorder that he has.

Edited due to useless spelling!!

Edited by bikemad

Hi

Z is like this with anything that goes into her mouth.

The other day it was that the water tasted horrible, it wasn't the same taste as usual. :(

We all tried it just to see if there was something different but alas my poor nt taste buds couldn't taste a difference

She's also the same with seeds, can't eat anything with seeds not even small ones Don't ever try peeling strawberries, it's not good :whistle:

You just got to find what they will eat and try very small variations of it >:D<<'>

Hi,

Sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday.

J doesn't have an issue with eating food as a rule and has a good varied diet so I'm thankful for that.

He just says that he can taste things hours after eating them, I think it must be in the way Flora described.

He has tried cleaning his teeth and the taste just comes back, its a puzzle.

gothschild x