Tally

But You Don't Look Sick!

ButYouDon'tLookSick.com magazine is about living life to the fullest with any disability, invisible disease, or chronic pain and hopes to provide answers to the endless questions of: But you don't look sick?

It is US-based, but any general principles may well be useful.

Normally I don't like stuff like this (and when I started to see some of their 'dreams' pillows I was thinking, nope, not for me), but then, out of curiosity, I read their 'spoons story' - or theory of spoons as an explanation of what it's like to live everyday with illness/disability. This is based more on illness (Lupus in this case) but I could actually really identify with what it was trying to do - and the idea of borrowing spoons from different days really works as an illustration of my coping mechanisms:

The Spoon Theory

I like this site. I have jut read the spoon theory and yes I can relate to this. I care for the spoons that belong to my son when he can't get it right or is just struggling in some way. For very different reasons it is exhauting.

I am going to tell my family about this story and although it is about Lupus may be it will help understand what a day can be like for our son and also my brother.

I am not trying to belittle what the author has to go through each day. My brother has an auto iommune disorder and I do understand, it was seeing it written in the way that it has been really touch me.