Sign in to follow this  
Zosmum

Got new meds

Just been for the latest psych appointment with Z. After a lot of dicussion she has put Z on Risperidone (0.5ml twice a day)

As she was telling me about the side effects it was just kind of going over my head. She didn't want to say to much in front of Z.

I've looked it up on the internet and it all sounds really scary, especially as it's an adults anti-psychotic drug :o

Has any one else used this and what was it like cos some of the side effects sound horrendous? :tearful:

I have to give the psych a call next week to let her know if there's any change in Z's behaviour and if we notice any differences in her. We're hoping that it will have a good effect on her as nothing else has worked :wallbash: and she's desperate to fit in especially at school( which she hates at the best of times)

The psych also mentioned ACORN but we may have a 12 month + wait for that one (nothing new there then!!!!) :whistle:

Please don't be scared off by the class of drugs it falls into. Risperidone is commonly used in depression and behavoural problems. Medications are commonly used for a wide variety of conditions. For example, aspirin is a pain killer, but it can also be helpful for preventing blood clots on long-distance flights.

Hi Zosmum,

we've just started my 10-yr-old on meds too, because he is crippled by anxiety. The psychiatrist has put him on fluoxetine, starting with 1mg a day with a view to raising it to about 6(?)mg. He's been on it for a week now and we're still waiting for it to have an effect.

It's not a route I would have chosen, but it seems to be the only option at the moment. If it doesn't work I can't see him going back to school in Sept.

What's ACORN??

Lizzie xx

Hi Lizzie

I think ACORN is a full team of therapists ie-speech and lang, occupational etc all in one place and all working together. Sounds ideal, almost too ideal, being able to see everyone in one place, on one day, all together. That's if I've understood it right but that's what it seems to be. Fingers crossed

Hi, my lad has been on Resperidone since about Feb. he started on 0.5mg twice daily and is now on 1 mg twice daily, it has made a difference, he still has meltdowns but not as fierce/violent he is definately calmer, he is now about to start on strattera instead of ritalin (eqausym) and I have posted on the meds about that. He HAS put weight on with the resperidone, but I would def try it. hope this hepls. Enid

Thanx Enid

Z was on eqyasim but it did nothing so they put her on concerta. We went upto 54mg(Ithink) it may have been more but they didn't do anything either. I think they're now trying to calm her down a bit with the risperidone. She had her first dose last night and although I couldn't tell you what time she fell asleep, she did actually sleep in this morning til 8:40.... :dance: Something she's never done before. Here's hoping :pray:

Just a quick update

The sleeping in yesterday must have been a fluke, back to usual self today. Major meltdown this morning cos C stood in front of the tv. Z went up like a firework. She beat C almost to a pulp. Poor C having problems sleeping tonight due to a very sore lump on the back of her head and bruising on her back. Don't know where this is going to end but something has to change soon co we can't take much more of this.

Maybe things will be a little better tomorrow, who knows?

Oh god, poor you, I found it took a bit of time to work, perhaps a higher dose? its awful for the siblings, my lad was out for a few hours today and the two littlies were going out with me, alone, big treat, but they said can we stay at home Mum and just enjoy it without J, :crying::crying::crying: , oh god, poor kids, it was like they been let off a lash, no walking on eggshells, they were so HAPPY. 10 mins after he came back he had meltdown cos dd had used something of his ALLEGEDLY! he got dd by the hair and scratched her face, she bit him on the hand!!! heigh ho, family life as we know it. Enid

It's still early days. These types of medications can often take 2-8 weeks to take effect. Have a look in the patient information leaflet, because that should tell you how quickly it should work.