Sign in to follow this  
warrenpenalver

Kitchen organisation!

Ok finally sort of in my house now but having issues trying to work out where things go!! Having never lived independantly im just not sure of conventions!!! I know what goes in the kitchen but where things are supposed to go i just dont know.

Is it ok to have food products on show or does everything have to be hidden??

Only thing ive got to compare it to is kitchen at my guardians 10 years ago, and kitchens on ship where everythings secured away.......

So far ive got these shelves up with non perrishables food on it.

my kitchen shelves

Is that ok??

Very neat, Warren - much more organised than mine. :) And very well stocked!

I don't think there are any rules about it - I think it depends on the layout of the kitchen and how much space you have. I think it's important to organise the kitchen to suit yourself and your cooking habits. It's easier if you have the most frequently used products like (in my house) teabags, salt, hot chocolate, in a convenient place where you can get to them easily.

I suppose the advantage of having food on show is that you can easily see what you've got and when you're running out of anything. I must admit don't always know what's lurking at the back of my cupboard so food doesn't get used up when it should. :unsure:

K x

Goodness Warren, how wonderfully neat and organised :clap:

When you've finished yours can you come and do mine :D

Flo' X

You are very organised!

I prefer to put my food away in the cupboards, but if you don't have enough cupboard space for everything, your shelving works well. It is best to avoid direct sunlight. The tins should be OK, but anything in a bag or box may deteriorate quicker. Keeping the cereal on the top shelf is a good idea, just in case you get small furry visitors :)

Watch the dates on your cereal though, as you have rather a lot there. Cereal won't be harmful out of date, but it does eventually go a bit soggy. They are items which commonly come on special offer, so there is no need to stock up quite as much as you have :) Ketchup is another product with a relatively short shelf-life, but the vinegar content should preserve it for a long time anyway.

Once you get used to going shopping, you will find that some products come on offer very frequently, and you will find that you probably don't need to stock up quite so much to get a good price. (The same applies to toiletries, which I think you also stocked up on more than you needed to.) But that is something you will get used to in time.

Ive got far too many toiletries :lol: I didnt think it was that organised really. I did try to keep it neat and line up all the logos on the tine etc. |Does anyone find they forget where everything has been put??? ive had to label all my cupboards so i know where stuff is!!!!

It's just because it's new and unfamiliar. You will probably be able to take down the labels eventually.

I remember once visiting a friend and he had one cupboard full of Pringles, one of Supernoodles, and one for sparkling water. That was about all the food he had in the house at all.