Sign in to follow this  
NobbyNobbs

advocate

does anyone know where it would be best to go to get an advocate for the tribunal thing for my DLA. they refused me using a GPs report from a GP i have seen twice who didn't have any of my notes and a report from a doctor who i saw 18 months ago for a completely different thing. when i questioned this on the phone to the DLA they said it was their policy to not use any report older than 12 months and i must be wrong on the date! i have it written in my diary quite clearly. i need to be able to argue this as it is so silly, but i cant write it down myself and my mother is ill with cancer so i cant ask her!

any suggestions appreciated

Can you go to the Citizen's Advice Bureau. If they can't help you, they may be able to put you in touch with someone who can.

Definitely a good idea. They should be aware of advocacy services in your area, and if they don't, then your local mental health services will have contacts in this area. I think advocacy may even be listed in that big yellow directory most people get?

Good luck.

Esther

i went to the CAB, and the man said that i didn't stand a chance of getting DLA because there is no scientific way to prove i have aspergers, even though i have a diagnosis. he completely ignored what i'd said about them breaching their own policy, and went on a rant about how i didn't seem autistic to him. from what ive read on here people are getting DLA, so now i dont know what to do at all!

Thats wrong information that the CAB have given you. A friend of mine has just been successful in applying for and being awarded DLA for his Aspergers. I think the people you need to be talking to are welfare rights, they have a team of people trained for appeals and they should be able to support you. Good luck.

Edited by Minxygal

Have you got a Carers Centre anywhere near you they will usually advocate for people and if they can not do it themselves they will probably know who can. Or have you got a NAS branch anywhere near you? I know that MENCAP have advocats and they will usually advocate for people with autism. Alternatively is there a support group locally who could support you with this? Sometimes the parents of children who have autism can be really helpful and supportive because they have been there and done that.

i went to the CAB, and the man said that i didn't stand a chance of getting DLA because there is no scientific way to prove i have aspergers, even though i have a diagnosis . . . and went on a rant about how i didn't seem autistic to him.

I'm sorry you got treated like that!

People can get DLA on grounds of Asperger's, depression, back pain, none of which can be proven scientifically.

As for not seeming autistic to him, unless he is a qualified diagnostician, with access to your medical history, early childhood development and was actually carrying out an assessment at the time, it may not be apparent to him that you are autistic.

The NAS may be able to help you with your application. They have a specific welfare rights department now.

MIND and Rethink can also help. Although they are mental health organisations, they do also deal with AS.

These agencies may also help you if you wanted to make a complaint about the man at the CAB, but you probably need to get the DLA tribunal out of the way first.