Tally

Low Mood Clinic

This morning I had an assessment with the Low Mood Clinic. The good news is that they have agreed to take me on as a patient for up to 12 sessions. The next group therapy with spaces does not start until January, so they are offering me individual therapy instead. I think I would be better with individual therapy anyway, so this is good news. I have to wait until late September, but that is only 6 weeks away anyway.

The assessment was really thorough, and I had to fill in a lot of forms beforehand, some more when I got there, and then the assessor filled in some about me based on questions she asked me. Because they come from a research background, it all needs to be scored and stuff, so they can measure progress. I think this could be helpful, because I often find it difficult to recognise my emotions.

There was one thing that annoyed me though. My counsellor had actually referred me to their programme for people who have recovered from depression. I don't know why she thought I was anywhere near recovered, since I have been discussing with her my tearfulness, sleep problems, difficulties with daily living and how worthless they make me feel, etc. I am disappointed that she didn't believe any of it, and went behind my back to tell other people this. I now have actual evidence (as opposed to a general 'feeling') for why I cannot trust her. I do not feel able to bring this up with her. Hopefully though, once I am in this therapy, I will not also need to see the counsellor. In a way I actually feel reassured by learning that my instincts about her were good.

Tally that sounds really good. Hope it's as useful as it sounds. I have trouble recognising my emotions too; also have trouble knowing how to react to them, or rather in producing the right response, eg, Some times I laugh when I really want to cry... which has proved to very problematic when someone dies :(

Good luck with this Tally. I'll be interested to hear how it goes.

Flora XX

No, it's a research thingy run by Exeter University . . . not really convenient for you! They take NHS patients. They are in part looking to collect statistical evidence that certain techniques work, and they also look for volunteers for particular research projects, but by being seen by them you are not committing to volunteer for these.

It's basically a long-winded way for me to get Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. I have not benefitted from it in the past because they spend the whole time telling me off for "refusing" to talk about my feelings and then refusing to treat me because it was a waste of time. Hopefully, the AS diagnosis will help them to understand that I just have to make slower progress with this. I did tell the assessor I was concerned about being refused treatment because I would make slow progress, and she tried to challenge my belief that I would make slow progress :wallbash: She did say I should bring it up with the therapist though, so hopefully she will understand what I am trying to say.