Sign in to follow this  
thebuzzer

Request For Statutory Assessment Please Help!

Hi

My son's school have requested at statutory assessment by the LA. I have received a letter from the saying I have 29 days to put across any views etc I have as to why they should assess him.

I have about 12 days left - I have been quite ill :tearful: (stress/depression from all that has gone on at the school and we are now on the battle for statementing oh joy ) and feel only able now to face doing it.

The thing is I have seen the pro forma letter on IPSEA which I will use but need help saying what I feel his difficulties are.

Can any of you tell me what you put when you did your requests or letters, it just might spark something off in my dulled brain to get me going.

Do I include all reports I have on DS, or save them for if they do the stat assessment? I am so scared they will say NO at any stage as we could not afford to go to tribunal. This is part of what is causing my depression too. >:D<<'> :crying:

Any thoughts, encouragement so gladly received.

Hi

When I did this for Z I included everything form her strange but true behaviours, the not sleeping, the temper tantrums, the violent outbursts to the problems with understanding us, you know the stuff you feel as though you're speaking chinese to an alien. Include motor skills or lack of motor skills the inability to throw, catch a ball etc etc Include every little thing.

It can be really quite upsetting putting it all down on paper as when you read it back it shows just how bad things really are. Be prepared for a shock then pat yourself on the back for being able to deal with all this so well followed by a good stiff drink

Good Luck

Oh-heck hun, i remember that shear blinding terror feeling well!!

Don't panic! Breathe! And follow the lovely quote below...............

Taken from here........... http://www.ace-ed.org.uk/advice/booklets/Assessment.html

Step 9: Preparing Your Report.

ACE advises that you write a full report. You can send it when you send your request, or when the LEA asks for your views. It is best to get your report in at an early stage to help the LEA make the right decision about whether or not to assess.

Use the checklist below as a guide to writing your report. The LEA may send you a form with similar questions in it. You do not have to answer any question you are not happy with.

Parents? Checklist

What to include in your advice

Your child?s early years.

Say when you first noticed any problems ? big or small. Did you tell anyone? What help or advice did you get?

Your child now.

* Health ? eating, sleeping, illnesses, tiredness, depression, panic attacks

* Physical skills ? walking, hopping, climbing, drawing, using scissors

* Communication ? hearing, gestures, eye contact, speech: describing things, talking to people, using the telephone, taking messages

* Personal skills ? dressing, washing, dealing with pocket money, time-keeping, remembering sports kit/books etc for school

* Behaviour ? poor concentration, silly behaviour, anxiety, aggression, following instructions

Your child at home

* Watching TV, reading, hobbies

* Outside activities ? clubs, sports

* Relationships ? parents, brothers and sisters, other adults, friendships

* Behaviour at home ? sharing, listening, helping, moods, caring, tantrums

* Homework ? difficulty with remembering what to do or getting it finished in the set time

Your child at school

* What is your child good at? What does your child enjoy?

* Friendships, relationships with teachers

* Problem areas: lessons, playtime, changing class, school transfer

* Help which has worked or not worked for your child

* Are your child?s difficulties getting worse?

* What help do you think your child needs?

Your child?s view

What does your child say about their difficulties? When do they most enjoy learning? Your child?s views are important. They can give first-hand reports of the difficulties they have and how the help they get at school works for them. Their behaviour usually shows what they feel about something.

Does any particular incident or piece of work illustrate your child?s difficulties or lack of progress?

Check as many of the points in your report as possible with your child & add their comments.

Once you have been through the checklist:

Check if your points:

* Explain in detail your child?s difficulties?

* Leave too much to the imagination?

* Give a clear picture of your child?s day to day life and difficulties? Think of different ways to show what you mean. For example, describe a typical day, provide a diary of what happens or include some of their work.

Think about the following questions and add more details if necessary:

Do you feel that your child?s difficulties give ?significant? cause for concern or are ?severe and complex?? Often this means a child has much greater difficulties than others the same age and/or a child has considerable difficulties in more than one area.

Do you feel that your child?s needs have not been met, even though the school and experts have tried? Why do you feel this?

Do you feel that your child may need the sort of help which normally only comes through a statement? Why do you feel this?

Do not worry if you cannot answer any or all of these questions. End the report by signing and dating it. Make a copy and send it to the LEA with any reports that you feel are useful. Keep to the time limits given.

Step 10: Do You Have Independent Reports.

If you feel that your child?s learning difficulties are not properly understood and that the LEA will take a lot of convincing that a statutory assessment is necessary, it may be useful to ask any professionals who know your child if they will back up your case with a report. An LEA must consider andy evidence you want to give, including a private report.

Print it off - grab some sheets of paper - and go through it, keeping it in the sections here helps to keep thoughts organised.

Keep squiggling stuff down as, and when you think of it, and you'll soon have reams of stuff.

Also, include (and quote if you can) any recent (ie; lasy 12 months) reports.

>:D<<'> >:D< >:D<<'>