morgan and alexandra

Something good for a change!!!

Hi all

I just wanted to share something positive for a change. I went shopping with a friend and our kids yesterday in Exeter and it was busier than usual. My friend doesn't have any knowledge of ASD but has obviously been watching and listening to what I have been saying about DDs needs and how difficult it is when we go shopping. DD started off badly before we even got on the bus, but I managed to calm her on the bus by scratching her head, it really seems to work for her.

However, once there she couldnt contain it although she did quite well to start with and I ended up on my knees talking her through a rough patch as she was screeching, grabbing out at things and starting to go into meltdown. My friend was watching from a distance( I did not know) and picking up tips. She managed to calm daughter down by scratching her head and talking calmy to her.

I was so overwhelmed, not even my family bother trying to learn techniques. I was really touched by the kindness my friend was showing to us both, and the fact she was trying to help and not judge us and the quiet way it was done. It's rare but there obviously are some good friends out there.

Yay! :thumbs: Well done friend :thumbs::notworthy:

Also, well done you too, for doing the whole supermarket thing, which is such an important life skill/lesson for our littlies :thumbs:

Best supermarket tip I ever had - a walkman (it was that long ago! think MP3 player now!) loaded with favourite songs :) Works on two levels - as entertainment and a desensitiser for all of that noise/bustle/activity. Ben quickly graduated to a gameboy, and now usually takes the PSP, but he can cope without anything and sometimes elects to actively help with the shopping too.

:D