Sign in to follow this  
Zosmum

Family Funeral

DH's uncle died last week and we've got the funeral on Thurs. When Z heard he'd died she just kept asking"so whens Scoobys funeral then?" No emotion involved at all. (Oh Scooby was his nckname) She even asked my father-in-law when it was, this is scooby's brother.

Just recently she's been kicking off at the slightest thing so am dreading going. It's a church service then burial.

No one can move in our house at the mo' for fear of another flare up

Any suggestions on what to do for the best.

We have to attend as it's family and being family could make things even worse

hi, zo'smum

sorry i have no experience of this but i guess it all depends on your daughter.

Does she wish to go?

If she has to go i guess you have to explain the process as much as possible, what is expected of everyone and that there will be people there who will be very upset etc.

Probably letting her know how long each part of the service will last, and what time you will leave, or if you need to be flexible with times then say that but give her advance notice like we will be going around about 4pm but it could change depending on xyz.

hope it goes ok for you all.

N x

O hun ive no experience of this but didnt want to read n run. Is there possibly anyone who could watch your dd so as you n your other half could go minus the worry of a kick off? Not ideal I know. >:D<<'>

4 years ago i took p to my mums funeral, he was 4 and he was fidgety because he didn't understand what was going on, he didn't really know my mum, oh took him for a walk he found stairs to gallery and shouted down in a happy voice hi mum! :wub: recently my oh auntie died he didn't know her wither,i drew a socail story with match stick pictures of what was happening on funeral day,we were at the front,the box was nearby i couldn't tell him what wa init and why, i just told him we were in church and he must whisper and stay quiet as best he can and he did and followed the box with a skip :robot: i think if you are to expect them to be part of a family and do everything you can to ensure that then excluding them from family does is sad, because they do need to feel need to feel part of family socials i think if you can prepare her as much as possible and include her in as much as you can it will help her in the future and will eventually learn some social ettiquett