Sign in to follow this  
Mumble

Photographs and Photography

I don't know if this is an Aspie thing or just me, but I find photographs (and it has to be photographs, not paintings/drawings/etc.) very evocative and about as close as I can get to feeling intense emotions - poetry etc. just doesn't do it for me (as was detailed repeatedly in my English Lit reports at school... - I just don't get poems generally nor can I move beyond the written words and do inferred stuff).

Photography is always something I've been keen to learn properly (as opposed to finding out what I can from books/Internet and experimenting) but I am worried that doing so might take away the enjoyment I currently get - has anyone here ever done courses in photography, would you recommend them and do you need lots of expensive equipment :photo: - I currently use just a fairly good digital camera and it seems to do what I need - these are some of my recent pictures:

Ben Nevis and the Nevis Range at Dusk

Lismore and the Nevis Range at Dusk

Mountains of the Small Isles

North Beach, Iona

(Apologies for the different sizes, I was trying to put a series of photos together jigsaw like and these are the pieces)

And can someone please explain the difference to me between altering brightness and lightness - maybe it's me and my taking things literally, but I don't understand this... :unsure:

hi, they re fab,my son is 13 and loves photos

He seems to see things in a different context to most, in fact on our holiday he took some brilliant photos of different fruits piles up ina shop!

Lisa

Hi Mumble. I do a lot of photography too. I also sell my prints using local galleries, markets and the internet. I will send you a pm with my website so you can have a look at some of mine. I have been self taught - read as many books as I could, went on internet forums to learn more. I'm a great believer in just doing it. I have always been put off courses by having to learn a lot of stuff that just doesn't interest me and the thought of having to take photos that just don't interest me - abstracts and other stuff as different aspects of the course. I mainly do landscapes - so I like yours very much.

You could always consider joining a local camera club. You'd learn a lot there from others and meet new people.

As to brightness and lightness - they are probably the same thing really although think also in terms of getting the contrast right. What is really the most important thing of course is the right level of exposure. Get that right in the camera and you won't need to worry too much about brightness, lightness and contrast. If your camera has a histogram - use it when checking exposure.

As to equipment I bought quite an expensive digital slr about 8 years ago and still use it. Why change it if it works. The most important thing if you want to take photography relatively seriously is to get a camera which you can control - using the manual adjustments for exposure rather than just sticking it on auto settings.

When I sell pictures the money gets ploughed back into more equipment like printers, paper and framing equipment etc. I'm just waiting for delivery of my super dooper printer this week which will enable me to print a panoramic 13" x 44" and you'll see from my website that will suit quite a few of my images. Its a great hobby. Very rewarding when you produce that masterpiece - and you need to make sure people see them because that will give you a lot of pleasure when others tell you how good they are.