tessa protheroe

prosopagnosia on tv

Hi Tessa :)

Welcome to the forum :D

Is this the same programme Ian was talking about? Do you know if it's possible to get it on the Internet after broadcast (I'm not in the South East region)?

BTW, I like your funky green specs - mine are blue B) - Do you actually find you don't need to wear them anymore and still get the effect of wearing them? - I would love for that to happen for me.

Mumble :)

Hi Mumble, thanks for the welcome.

The program will be available on the internet but only for a limited time (probably changed the next day). Hope you get to see it. I'll be watching it later that evening on the internet (as have to take eldest son to choir when tv on).

I only use the specs for hillwalking now but did enjoy hiding behind them!

Tessa

I only use the specs for hillwalking now but did enjoy hiding behind them!

So are you effectively 'cured' (BTW, if you don't mind me asking, did you have the prosopagnosia absent of anything else? - I'm AS/HFA/Dyspraxic as well)?

Hillwalking - I'll have to remember that... :lol: :lol:

Hello,

Myself and kids were filmed talking about our prosopagnosia. Should be shown on BBC 1 South East news at 6.30pm Monday. My 2 boys are ASD.

Tessa Protheroe

I will try and watch that. I have prosopagnosia and it has often been bad enough to get me in to some embarrasing situations and I have often offended people as a result. It was suggested that my condition was mild as I could recognise my father and know that when I looked in the mirror I was looking at me !

How bad is your condition and that of your sons ?

Jannih

Hello - mine was "mild" too but enough to cause me severe problems. I couldn't pick myself out on a group video a friend had made. I also had difficulty finding my way around. After 18 months wearing green specs I can recognise faces in a crowd and find my way around much better. Mirrors have been a big shock!!!! My boys have only recently started wearing the specs (one greeny blue, one blue) and had various effects (eg Glyn can now read without the letters moving around).

I want to emphasise that I've been v lucky, its not a "miracle cure for everybody" but life has been v interesting. It has been an ordeal being filmed and interviewed (though Glyn loved playing with the BBC camera!) but we want to raise awareness. I'm so proud of my family.

Don't want to post anymore about this as the mods have to remove it if people get advertised. So please watch the program if you can.

By the way thankyou all for letting me post here - I confess to being a long term lurker (sorry!). We've home edded for 4 years so avoid the school battles but I've learnt a lot from postings here. I will try to contribute in the future.

Tessa Protheroe

Oh sorry Mumble - just saw your question. I haven't a diagnosis of ASD but have never been assessed. Certainly when I was younger I had major social communication problems and my behaviour was very different to other kids. In later years life was a huge struggle trying to appear "normal" (whatever that is!).

Tessa

Hello,

have phoned the BBC to find out why it wasn't on - it had to be bumped tonight as they didn't have room with other news and sport that happened recently. Its provisionally booked for Tuesday, 6.30pm. They can never guarantee things will be shown on a given date but promise it will be shown sometime. If you need to check with them tomorrow, the program planners are on 01892 675580.

Please keep watching out for this piece as we think it is very important. The recording includes an explanation of how parents can assess their children for visual problems.

Sorry if you've had your time wasted tonight. I am very frustrated (started on wine and chocolate...)

Please keep watching!

Tessa

Hello,

have phoned the BBC to find out why it wasn't on - it had to be bumped tonight as they didn't have room with other news and sport that happened recently. Its provisionally booked for Tuesday, 6.30pm. They can never guarantee things will be shown on a given date but promise it will be shown sometime. If you need to check with them tomorrow, the program planners are on 01892 675580.

Please keep watching out for this piece as we think it is very important. The recording includes an explanation of how parents can assess their children for visual problems.

Sorry if you've had your time wasted tonight. I am very frustrated (started on wine and chocolate...)

Please keep watching!

Tessa

Sorry it never got on tonight (but on the other hand I'd forgotten so at least i haven't missed it!)

Still - a good excuse for wine and chocolate's not to be sniffed at, is it? :lol:

I watched it !!! Veryinteresting - im convinced ben has it as he just can never remember anyones face so i ws especially interested. your family looked fab in their glasses!!!!

Well done, I'd have been a wreck with cameras pointing at me! :thumbs:

JP has it mildly, it really came home to us when he tried to do a photo ID of the man who scammed him & picked out two completely different blokes (but they both had bushy eyebrows) But he recognises people he knows.

Thankyou! They actually cut out a lot (I used to have huge direction finding, disorientation problems and Glyn had dyslexia) but at least they put in the link with ASD.

Screening is really simple and treatment (if required) effective. Can't mention names but the professional interviewed is, to my knowledge, the only person doing this in the UK. Its very different to any other types of coloured lenses.

We love our guineas - also have a giant African landsnail (but for some reason they didn't want to film "him"!)

Tessa.

Pearl - just a thought. You say JP recognises people he knows but how is he when they are dressed differently, change hairstyles (or in hats) and pop up out of context - ie places and times he doesn't expect and with people he wouldn't associate them with. I relied on these clues heavily (and build, voice etc).

What the program doesn't get across is that I didn't know I had such a significant problem. All that stuff about me saying I found friendships difficult and didn't tell people because I felt stupid was actually me talking about my lack of direction (couldn't even find my way back from the loo in a restaurant) - they just cut and pasted!

I know I can't advertise anybody here but do think every child with ASD should be screened. We didn't suspect my eldest AS had problems - when he got his glasses he couldn't believe that he's thought he had been seeing normally.

Tessa

Hi Tessa

No, JP does recognise peeps out of context - at least as much as I do anyway! But if we were watching a western say, & there were lots of similar cowboys, he'd have huge probs following the plot as he couldnt tell them apart.

There are about three or four other places around the UK do this work, I've been told. Unfortunately I've been unable to track them down.

Its very different to any other types of coloured lenses.

Yep - I think there's a few people that do this - very few. It's why you have to be wary, because there's lots that make claims, but don't do the same - I know when I first asked my disability office about it they thought I was just talking about coloured overlays which wouldn't have helped at all - ooooh no.

Hello, sorry to keep banging on about this!

The tv report had a lot cut out of it. There's a much better report in our local paper today re screening.

Please google -

tessa protheroe kent messenger maidstone

and click on "read full story"

Thankyou,

Tessa