Sign in to follow this  
Babylicious

Bit of a whinge

We had a diagnosis 2 years ago however it was privately done so we've been going through the NHS to get her statemented etc. So they wanted to do a full assessment which so far has taken them a year and the only person she got assessed by was a mental health nurse :wacko: ok still with me? this involved 5 play sessions where they watched her play. Anyhow at the end of these sessions the mental health nurse said the only thing we would benefit from was family therapy as she things paris has an attachment problem to me? she didn't even mention help with the aspergers!!!! So I went back to my gp and he said he couldn't refer us to anyone else as he had a procedure to follow and that was it :crying: so we are stuck as to what to do! Her behaviour at school is terrible and they have taken to keeping her in at break and lunch times due to her constant violent outbursts.

HELP!! :crying:

hi have you spoken to teacher/headteacher and asked that your child be assessed by the educational pychologist(excuse my spelling ) i had problem when my son was at nursery before his dx i had to insist they get ed phyc to assess him once they did he had one to one support then yr later when he hd dx he went to asd unit stayed there 7 years hed never have coped in main steam good luck insist on ed phyc at least you should help for her at school good luck stay strong >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

just remembered a lot of r assessment for autism was based on me answering questions with the paediaric physcologist r didnt pass his 2 year assessment (expected time to meet mile stones when they should crawl walk speak etc with the hv and was diagnosed with global development delay which lead to him being put on waiting list for paed phsyc and speech therapist etc did your daughter meet her milestones?

Edited by single autie mum

I don't believe a mental health nurse is qualified to make those sort of decisions. Perhaps you could go back to your GP and ask for a referral to a paediatric clincial psychologist, or a paediatrician,or the local CAMHS team.

An hour or so spent playing with someone who isn't qualified to make a diagnosis is not an assessment. Your GP must be mistaken if he thinks that this is the only cause of action available.

If you don't get any joy from your usual GP, is there another GP within the practice you could ask to see instead? Or if not could you switch GP's to another surgery?

Flora

This is very frustrating for you. :wacko:

I agree with Flora - this doesn't sound like an in depth assessment to me. Is the original dx in dispute? I think it would be a good idea to keep pushing for a referral to a more appropriately qualified professional/team.

Perhaps someone on the forum in your area who has been down the NHS route might be able to suggest how best to go about this. The process seems to vary so much from area to area.

K x