Sign in to follow this  
longmeadow

Stomping around

I wonder if anyone can help with this one........

Probably a silly question, but here goes.

Our 9 year old can walk around the house and if you are in a room doing something, you can tell it is her over anybody else in the family as she walks so heavily, she really does thump her feet when she walks...

Is this what they refer to as can walks awkwardly ?

My son does this also and I,d always beieved it was the dyspraxic side of him.He actually does,nt know where he is in the world , IYSWIM..........., so he walks into stuff trips up etc.This also effects how he places his feet.We found he preferred to wear very heavy type shoes as they made him more aware of his feet etc.He had OT, and sensory integration therapy when he was younger but it has made no difference :whistle: .

Hi longmeadow, I am an adult with AS. My mum says that it sounds like a herd of elephants walk down the stairs, and she always knows it will be me because of all the noise I make. I also walk awkwardly on steep downhills and my feet kind of slap the ground. There is a steep hill inbetween my house and the High Street. People actually turn round and stare because I make so much noise walking down it. I have a "funny" walk at the best of times, but I think I am less noisy on smooth, flat surfaces . . . at least no one has complained anyway!

Hi, longmeadow

I've just found some information from a book called 'the out of sync child' by Carol Kranowitz:

'Characterisics of Proprioceptive Dysfunction

to seek sensory feedback, the child may:

- Bump and crash into objects

- Stamp or slap his feet on ground while walking

- Kick his heels against the floor or chair

I have no idea what Proprioceptive Dysfunction is, or how to help aleviate the need for 'senory feedback', but it may be something to mention to your GP (it will impress him, if nothing else :lol:)

Hope that helps

Nicky x

My son does this but he doesn't it on purpose to see how loud he can make it! Sometimes he is fine and then other days he stomps around the house and especially down the stairs so noisily it is unbeleivable.

My DH does it but isn't aware of it, he is very heavy footed and stomps around so noisily but swears its because he's tall and gets very annoyed if I mention it.

Olga Bogdashina is someone whose books are well worth a read if you are interested in sensory dysfunction/propreoceptive dysfunction. This lady opened my eyes and some :notworthy: Left me asking if autism really is a triad or as Donna Williams suggests a fruit salad. I am just about convinced now that it is a fruit salad :eat: The sensory issues play a HUGE part in this condition far more than I had ever realise.

My eldest is a stomper and my youngest is a bounder when he is running about. Both are seeking sensation and the elder in particular stomps because it is the only was that he is sure that is feet are actually touching the ground.

Cat

HI

I call my daughter the angel with elephant feet! she is almost 13, she is tall, about 5ft 5 weighs a mere 6 stone and sounds like a very large elephant, how such a skinny lizzy with the frame the size of a fairy can have such stomping great noisy feet is a mystery to me. I have never heard anything like it!!!

harmony x