Sign in to follow this  
Sooze2

Who usually does the statutory assessment?

I asked the school to start the Statementing processes and ask for statutory assessment before the school holidays. This term they have said they are doing the Statutory Assessment and once they send it in the LEA have 16 weeks to say yes or no to a statement. Is this right?

Can I read all the paperwork before they send it off or should I be happy that they are doing it and trust what they are putting forward?

Did you get to read things through first and did you have any input in to this statutory assessment.

I'm a bit confused because from what Ive read on here I thought I would be involved in this prossess!!! :unsure:

Editing to say, I'm sure that they request the assessment and the LA agree/don't agree to do it. Does this mean the Parent support Advisor is working for the LA or the school, surely she must work for the LA if she can do the assessment and gather evidence! Does it matter? Perhaps I should go to bed :wacko:

Edited by Sooze2

I asked the school to start the Statementing processes and ask for statutory assessment before the school holidays. This term they have said they are doing the Statutory Assessment and once they send it in the LEA have 16 weeks to say yes or no to a statement. Is this right?

From when the request is made, the LA have 6 weeks to decide whether or not to do a statutory assessment

then 10 further weeks to decide whether or not to issue a statement.

= 16 weeks in total.

Can I read all the paperwork before they send it off or should I be happy that they are doing it and trust what they are putting forward?

Did you get to read things through first and did you have any input in to this statutory assessment.

I'm a bit confused because from what Ive read on here I thought I would be involved in this prossess!!! :unsure:

You should very definitely be fully involved: the Code of Practice says so. (paras 7:13 - 7:17 - I can dig out the relevant bits for you if you want ) The school should submit your views along with its other evidence and once the request has been received, the LA must formally write to you to invite you to submit your own evidence. They (the LA) must also keep you fully informed about the process from beginning to end.

I think it would be wise to see what the school is putting in as evidence right from the start. If you consider it to be inaccurate or incomplete, you can correct that with the information you provide, and you can send in as much as you want.

If the school are slow at sending in their statutory assessment request, remember that you can start the process yourself.

K x