saffronsunflower

Homemade weighted blanket

Hello all,

After looking into the costs of weighted blanket i decided it was really costly for something i wasn't sure would work so i decided to be adventurous and make one.

Believe me i'm no seamstress, i don't have or know how to work a sewing machine.

I thought i would let anyone interested know how i did it in case anyone else wanted one.

I bought 15 gym bags online ( bout 65p each), these are canvas bags filled with beans for exercise.

I got an old cot sized baby blanket of my sons and tacked them on with doubled thread roughly in three rows of five, Trying to distribute weight quite evenly.

I had a length of fleece fabric ( approx 1& Half meters that i bought for a blanket, but you could use quilt or whatever. I folded it over and tacked big stitching (i believe its called blanket stitching) on the other side and one end to make a duvet cover shape. You want the outer duvet to be just slightly bigger than the blanket with the beanbags.

I bought some iron on velcro for the other end (2.50 mtr) and ironed that on to the other side to seal the end.

I used the velcro so we can remove the beanbag blanket before putting fleece in the wash.... Result!!!!!

My son loves his "heavy blanky"!!

I hope that this makes sense to anyone who wants to try, it took me one evening for the beanbag blanket and couple of hours for the outer duvet.

It was a labour of love though and worth every pin-pricked finger when i saw him snuggled in it.

Next project a lap-pad for when we are out to eat to combat the wriggles!!

Cheers

Nic