Sign in to follow this  
ScienceGeek

Generalisations and speaking for others

This is something that has been bugging me for a while now. There is an aspie woman that goes to one of the groups I go to who is very vocal and forceful about it. Fair enough, if she feels the need to do that. The problem I have is that she makes sweeping generalisations and gives the impression that her experience is the only one. She'll make statements that imply that all aspies react to things the same way. This is starting to make me feel uncomfortable, especially as she does a lot of advocacy stuff and don't want someone who thinks they are on the spectrum to be deterred just because the way they react to things doesn't match the statements she makes. Do you think I should talk to her about it? :unsure:

When she next does this in the group, it might be good to diplomatically mention that there are differences between people, especially if you yourself can demonstrate this by describing how your own experience differs from hers.

K x

This really annoys me about some people too, but I never know what to say to them about it.

Is there a group leader or organiser? They might be able to have a word on your behalf, or help you find a good way to talk to her.

Yes, there is a group leader. I will have a word with her (the group leader) when I see her next about it as I don't feel comfortable bring it up with the person in question. One of the statements that was bugging me was that aspies don't have a sense of humour, and that all aspies get distressed by practical jokes and such. :wallbash:

One of the statements that was bugging me was that aspies don't have a sense of humour, and that all aspies get distressed by practical jokes and such. :wallbash:

In which case I suggest that next time she makes a 'we all...' statement, you throw a well-timed rubber brick at her and say, "Really? well, that's not my experience, here was I thinking we were all as much individuals as we are Aspies..." :fight: :fight:

Sorry, I'm feeling in a very evil mood at the moment :devil: (is that allowed in Aspie-land BTW? :unsure:)

Sorry, I'm feeling in a very evil mood at the moment :devil: (is that allowed in Aspie-land BTW? :unsure:)

Yes, that is allowed :lol: I just imagined the whole thing animated with a shocked look on her face :o and little birds flying around her head :lol: