Sign in to follow this  
pepper

16yr old academic son - REFUSES ritalin.concerta

Hiya, not sure if topic is relevant or if anyone has familiarity - feedback? in that, im pleased he's deciding for himself, and i know many parents dont hold with any medication - but this is our life, and son has coped exceedingly well so far in mainstream (with very little SEN support) and gained surprisingly decent 'O' level grades (on meds)

He has recently moved up to 6th form, in a local selective grammar school with good reputation, which has ended up being the best placement for my boy - i could have hoped for..... he now says that meds dont work for him.................

he has aspergers and ADD, and although we had a recent apointment at child phsyc, who was happy to continue meds, he feels that concerta isnt working - and i've accepted his descision. I've also asked he goes to bed earlier, and have upped efforts to help him focus and concentrate :whistle: though have just been told hes forgot some chunks of homework (this isnt unusual though)

As a parent I'm worried about how he will cope and if his exams and study will falter :tearful:

am i being dramatic?> looking at AS/A level exam timetable, many of his modules start in january and carry over to exam results :rolleyes: not much time to test the waters.....is it?

does anyone have any advice? thanks!

Do you think the Concerta was helping? If you are worried, you could try telling him the ways it helped, and maybe he would reconsider.

Maybe you still need to go through his homework with him to make sure he remembers it all.

It does seem a bit quick to be taking exams in January, but I expect the school have thought it through and find that this works well for most students. It will mean he has less to study for in June, but he could always retake the exams if necessary.