Sign in to follow this  
Allansmum

Am I being fobbed off?

Hi

My son started reception in september he has a statement and 30 hours support.

He signs and uses pecs. He is just starting to talk. He isnt using sign as much as he did. TA doesnt sign and up untill now hasnt been using pictures. SALt has recommended they sign and use pictures. They have started using pictures, but teacher and head teacher have suggested i go and teach TA to sign.

Now, he has statement, done a couple of years ago, and provision isnt that great. Looking into changing the provision as i feel now hes at school its a bit vague. But TA at nursery signed and used pecs, so surely the statement isnt that vague.

Is his new school just fobbing me off?

Hi

My son started reception in september he has a statement and 30 hours support.

He signs and uses pecs. He is just starting to talk. He isnt using sign as much as he did. TA doesnt sign and up untill now hasnt been using pictures. SALt has recommended they sign and use pictures. They have started using pictures, but teacher and head teacher have suggested i go and teach TA to sign.

Now, he has statement, done a couple of years ago, and provision isnt that great. Looking into changing the provision as i feel now hes at school its a bit vague. But TA at nursery signed and used pecs, so surely the statement isnt that vague.

Is his new school just fobbing me off?

He should be having a review of some sort soon, to see how he's getting on surely? I reckon the school should send the TA and teacher on a signing training course plus get help from SLT to get the whole school signing. We have tried to do this at our school, we all sign in assembly, I'm trying to get us to learn a sign a week. The school should also invest in some signing books as a reference at the very least. I believe they are fobbing you off. Tell them about this website http://www.newburypark.redbridge.sch.uk/langofmonth/makaton/player.html

It's a good starting point, for his class mates too as they should be learning as well.

Good luck!