Sign in to follow this  
Emum

Just a rant really

E has a couple of days off school for inset today and tomorrow, and a friend, who I have known for about 3 years but who has never met her, came round to have lunch with us. E was actually having a very good day and was very calm and quiet while she was here, though her usual uncommunicative self.

My friend, as perhaps you might expect, was asking lots of questions about autism and what it was, as she had never met anyone on the autistic spectrum. Was also asking why E wasn't able to do some of the things she would expect of a child of that age (such as hold a pencil, read, etc) I was explaining that her development was delayed in lots of different areas and it was hard to gain new skills unless you were sufficiently developed in all the areas you would need (eg fine motor skills, balance, understanding, etc). She kept asking however "Well what area is she ahead of her chronological age in?"

Umm, none of them - as is quite apparent to anyone who meets her :wallbash::wallbash:

Also got lots of "advice" about how to "unlock the talents inside her". Cause of course I just leave her sitting in a corner all day every day and never try to encourage her in any way. :whistle:

I blame Rain Man

And more recently Big Bang Theory, which shows a fantastic Aspie adult, but of coursehe's a physics genius :rolleyes:

Nothing you can do other than try to educate those around you that Hollywood isn't always right!

E has a couple of days off school for inset today and tomorrow, and a friend, who I have known for about 3 years but who has never met her, came round to have lunch with us. E was actually having a very good day and was very calm and quiet while she was here, though her usual uncommunicative self.

My friend, as perhaps you might expect, was asking lots of questions about autism and what it was, as she had never met anyone on the autistic spectrum. Was also asking why E wasn't able to do some of the things she would expect of a child of that age (such as hold a pencil, read, etc) I was explaining that her development was delayed in lots of different areas and it was hard to gain new skills unless you were sufficiently developed in all the areas you would need (eg fine motor skills, balance, understanding, etc). She kept asking however "Well what area is she ahead of her chronological age in?"

Umm, none of them - as is quite apparent to anyone who meets her :wallbash::wallbash:

Also got lots of "advice" about how to "unlock the talents inside her". Cause of course I just leave her sitting in a corner all day every day and never try to encourage her in any way. :whistle:

Well.....what can I say.Anyone who has been around on the Forum for any length of time would know you are unmotivated....sit around drinking coffee and know little of anything useful :whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle: .She has been watching too much rain man. >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> Karen.

Well.....what can I say.Anyone who has been around on the Forum for any length of time would know you are unmotivated....sit around drinking coffee and know little of anything useful

Only on Mondays...

Thanks for that. 1 day down, only another 10 to go until half term is officially over!

I've got a couple of friends who live in the village like that. One of them doesn't have any kids but she has lots of animals and she thinks that qualifies her to tell me exactly where I'm going wrong!!!

It really p's me off; I tend to just nod along and try to change the subject. Luckily she's never got me on a bad...yet!

Flora

Only on Mondays...

Thanks for that. 1 day down, only another 10 to go until half term is officially over!

Tuesday,Wedensday,Thursday,Friday can be arranged. >:D<<'> >:D<<'> :whistle:

I've got a couple of friends who live in the village like that. One of them doesn't have any kids but she has lots of animals and she thinks that qualifies her to tell me exactly where I'm going wrong!!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol: