Sign in to follow this  
Sooze2

For those with kids who have night terrors

DS has just got out of bed roaming around, he came downstairs and was shaking but doing his usually sleep walking thing. When he got back into bed he was shaking violently - the bed was shaking with him! He does shake when he's roaming and lieing down afterwards but never like this, also he seemed to be more awake than usual and was able to answer my questions about what he was coming out with. He has no temperature.

Do you think he is actually fitting or something?

I woke DH (I don't usually) and as usual he was dissinterested but did come down in the end but said "yes, stange isn't it" but went back to bed like it didn't matter. So nice to see he cares about his son isn't it?

Does anyone have any experiec eof this?

Sam used to do this a lot; he also used to walk up rise bolt upright and scream.

It used to leave us more shaken than Sam who was normally fast asleep even when he had his eyes wide open.

Make sure your son is safe and when he does settle back to sleep sounder go make yourself a hot drink and allow yourself a little TLC. I think we parents suffer more seeing a child with night terrors whilst the kids stay blissfully ignorant. You may find this webpage of help.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/conditions/nightmare2.shtml

In Sams case he was also an abysmal sleeper and now he is older he tends to sleep walk and talk, equally weird but not quite as terrifying as the scream in the night. :blink:

If things are really awful it might be worth chatting with his consultant and asking for a refferral to a sleep disorders clinic for your own peace of mind and to offer real advice on managing this.

Most kids do grow out of this but its horrible whilst it lasts.

Thanks Elouise. He has always done it, since he was a baby really and once he was in a bed that walking started in a big way andhe did it every night. But this one was different. To be honest it really doesn't worry me anymore because I'm so used to his weird nightime habbits. He's been on Menatonin for 3 months which has helped him to get to sleep and did help him stay asleep too but recently he has started waking again. He's never shaken this violently though so I am concerned that something else is going on that makes him wake up in the first place!

Edited by Sooze2

We were told that the violent shaking was rigors which is pre seizure activity and this also happens with our son when he is ill and has an infection. It is very worrying and not nice to see. Is your son aware that this is happening to him? Our son was and is. I would get this checked out if I were you.

Cat

Cat, he has no idea at all. He never remembers that he's been walking or had a bad bout of night terrors when I ask him the next morning, I don't always mention it to him because he was starting to get quite upset about hearing he does things in the night that he doesn't know anything about!

A couple of months ago I din't get to him when he first got up because I had fallen asleep, DH eventually got up and DS was in a real screaming state and running around the house crying hysterically looking for me. DH thought he'd calmed him but each time he put him back to bed he got up again which went on for hours. He wasn't awake, DH couldn't have a conversation with him but didn'y know what to do and say to get him out of it because he's never got up with him before. DS remembered nothing about it in the morning!

Oh well perhaps a trip to the GP is in order. Ive not really been overly worried before I am so used to it and especially because my old GP always dissmissed it but I am concerned that maybe he's having a seizure and that is what makes him get up!

Hi Sooze,

Over the years my daughter used to have lots of things that we put down to night-terrors, sleepwalking etc. She's 15 now and following an major incident last year - she was referred with possible epilepsy (compex partials).

Apart from the seizures she now has - she also has severe panic attacks which manifest themselves similar to a seizure with the exception that she is aware whereas with a seizure she is not.

The panic attacks leave her totally paralysed - either her speech becomes slurred or she is unable to speak and also cannot move her body at all, dribbling etc.

The Neuro has said that while everyone is aware of the fight or flight factor to panic attacks there is another called 'freeze' - where the body tries to shut down as it tries to cope with the panic - which I think could be related to someone having a night terror.

However, you mention that your son has no memory of what has happened and doesn't communicate either which is how my daughter was. My daughter also gets very hot during these and can feel sick and lip smacks a lot as though her mouth is dry. If she is having one while asleep etc her legs move around a lot as though she's trying to kick the duvet off - if she's sat up in bed with her eyes open she will make lots of noises, grunting and perhaps screaming, but not communicate or be soothed - this can go on for about 30 mins a time - she also has lots of other kinds but there are so many different types of seizures and each person can present differently.

I'm not saying that is what could be causing your sons problems - but it's worth going to see your GP and let him know that you're concerned it maybe something else.

Take care,

Jb

Thanks Jb, yes I think is time to see the GP again, I enroled with a new one a few months ago but havn't been for an appointment yet due to GP fear caused by our old one! How sad am I!

He will talk during the night but he is talking the dream, it isn;t reality, he will talk to me but only if I can pick up on what he's on about. Yesterday he was looking for someone or something called Henry and would only settle once I told him that They had found Henry and he was ok now so you can go and rest now and relax - seemed to work!

So do I ask to see a neurologist? I was reading about EEG's the other day, should I ask for that? I know I seem to lack confidence but the old GP just wouldn't listen to me and in the end I felt I was just making it all up!

Hi Sooze,

When we visited the GP we were concerned because we did start to have a feeling it could be seizures she was having - the GP also thought the same and referred us to a Paed. who is quite knowledgable in epilepsy - and following that referral things moved on quite quickly.

We didn't have to request anything - following our first appt. they suggested she have an EEG. From then on it was a sleep deprived EEG, MRI and next week she has to have a 24hr EEG (where they're fitted up with a tape etc and she wears it at home/sleep etc for 24hrs). Depending on these results as to whether she then goes into hospital where they do a video/EEG over a few days (5 - I think).

She was referred to the Neuro because of the results. Although I think after 16/17 the Paed would have to move her over to the Neuro then anyway?

During the first appt. with the Paed. they did tell us that even though it sounded like epilepsy there are 'things' that can happen to children with ASD's that are similar to a seizure - but have nothing to do with epilepsy - and that they needed to find out which it was - hence the EEG.

I think when you visit the GP you need to state your concerns - if they don't suggest a referral then I'd ask whether it's possible to be referred as your son seems to be getting anxious at not remembering what has happened.

Take care,

Jb

PS - Is your son under a Paed. for anything else - just thought that might speed it up a little. Also, as for having confidence in approaching your GP - I know exactly how you feel it was actually only because I'd posted last Oct - that responses on here pushed me to do it.

Edited by jb1964