Sign in to follow this  
BuntyB

'leave me alone!'

Hi,

I wonder if anyone has any suggestions on our latest problem!

Our daughter at 12 is going through a phase of storming off and slamming doors and telling us to 'leave her alone' everytime you ask her to do something. I suppose it is quite typical of this age to have moody phases, but when it's things like washing hair or changing clothes I would like to explain why we do certain things, or social stories etc have been suggested in the past, but when you can't get a dialogue open, it's a real problem.

It doesn't just happen to me. Sometimes her siblings ask her quite nicely if she'd like to play or watch a film and she slams the door in their faces. She's really quite aggressive and rude towards them. Any ideas?

Hi Shona,

We've had similar problems the past couple of years - our daughter is 15. I can only get her to talk usually on her terms, on her subject etc.

To be honest I think the slamming of doors, leave me alone, don't speak to me - is the hormones, puberty, teenage thing - I can pretty much recall myself and my friends being like it when I was younger. I will say though that the hygiene thing has got better this past year and probably the last six months she has really become aware of it - which is absolutely wonderful.

Take care,

Jb