Sign in to follow this  
joybed

anyone out there flexi schooling

Hi after saying i would never home educate i am now considering flexi schooling Marcus. After sitting with him last night sobbing yet again over school, incident of bullying, forgotten homework and the idea of PE today I felt really guilty sending him today and felt like i was pushing him to the lions. He has some days which he can tolerate at school and others like thursday and friday which are just torture for him and he can,t sleep the night before and feels physically sick with nerves. So i was thinking why send him on these days. I could do some kind of PE that he likes at home such as swimming or walking, better than him standing around on a field, cold refusing to do anything.

Of course all this depends on school and whether they will support me, i have spoken to our local education otherwise advisor who was helpful and maybe i could do it.

I have also discussed with my boss this morning about making my working life easier and have slightly reduced my hours and altered my working pattern so i could fit in 2 days HE and still have 1 day to myself.

Anyone doing this, can anyone see a downside. The only ones i can see are school refusing, DH/family not being happy and Marcus refusing school altogether after being flexi schooled a while.

Be prepared for the school to tell you all of the things that he will miss as well as PE the two days he will not be attending. They might say that he will miss the literacy and numeracy hours on both days and will fall behind. I would say that if he knows that he does not have to take part in PE and the other things which really are disabling his learning that missing two days might not affect him as much as they suspect. They might also say that it will make him different from the other children - but he already is so that would not be something that I would buy in to.

We wanted to flexi-school our son and although the school were supportive the LEA were not and wanted to know how long we intended to flexi-school for and saw it very much as a short term thing. We did not. In the end we jumped ship altogether and now home educate.

It might help if you could get a Consultant or Doctor to back you up. I know that schools often given in to flexi-school easier if the parent has some back up.

Cat

Be prepared for the school to tell you all of the things that he will miss as well as PE the two days he will not be attending. They might say that he will miss the literacy and numeracy hours on both days and will fall behind. I would say that if he knows that he does not have to take part in PE and the other things which really are disabling his learning that missing two days might not affect him as much as they suspect. They might also say that it will make him different from the other children - but he already is so that would not be something that I would buy in to.

This is a big problem due to timetabling. Kids that only study a few subjects often end up having to go in almost every day. Kids that only go in for a few days end up missing (important) lessons. Effective flexi-schooling is a very messy business and many schools are unable to provide what is wanted.