Sign in to follow this  
skye

Super high score on GADS

I just can't sleep. I have known all along that my daughter has AS. I have been fighting really hard for somebody to take notice. I finally got an assessment with CAMHS next week. We went to the Educational Psychologists today for the screening. The SENCO attended with us and filled out the school's portion of the GADS test as well as the one we filled out and they both scored really high. I was happy to feel like someone finally believed me and that I wasn't crazy, however I feel really sad now. I guess somewhere deep in my heart I wished that it was just behavioral issues. I mean I knew that it wasn't but actually hearing the words and talking about support for the future etc. It is great, don't get me wrong. I am glad we are going to now get some support, I guess it just hit home that this is not something that she will grow out of and that she will have struggles in her life. I just want her to be healthy and happy. I guess I am just worrying when what I need to do is figure out a way to give her the best life that I can and try to help her learn about the world. I don't know if anyone has felt the same way when their diagnosis came through. It's like I fought and fought to hear something that I wish wasn't true. -Skye

Edited by skye

How you are feeling is quite normal, relief that you were right all along and steps are being taken to get the right help, and sadness that there are issues that will be there for life and not go away.

Take care of yourself, the period around getting a diagnosis is a real emotional roller-coaster. It always helps to remember that you have the same special little girl that you had pre-diagnosis. She hasn't been taken away and replaced by an Autistic child which is obvious when I write it down like this, but easy to lose sight of when you are in the middle of things.

You have come to the right place, because thewre are plenty of people here who understand.

Simon

Hi Skye

Sending you big big hugs and hope you finally got some sleep >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> I felt the same when I finally realised my ds had Aspergers and he wasnt just going to grow out of it. I found it a huge turning point though, and knowing he has AS has given me a lot more strength and ability to cope - before I was sooo stressed out about what seemed to be bad behaviour but was just J's difficulties in coping with everybody else's 'norm'. Sure we still have problems to deal with but its a hell of a lot easier without the pressure of thinking it could be your own bad parenting. I'm sure someone else on this forum once said that knowledge is power, and this was true for me as I am now well armed with as much info as I can get to help my son.

Vicky

Thanks so much for the replies. I am feeling a lot more optimistic today! I am really happy that there are so many different tools out there that you never really here about in normal circles like social stories etc that I am finding out about and I know that they will help Lib better than what we have all been doing so far. Today her teacher sent a typed up letter that said "Lib wanted you to know what a great day she had in school today. I even gave her a sticker. Her very happy teacher..." I was over the moon that they are going to try to focus on her strengths and really pay attention to her good days now instead of dwelling on all of the bad stuff.

I love my daughter with all of her quirks, I just want everyone else to see the great things about her the way I do. I am sure you all feel the same way.

My husband pointed out a useful thing last night which really got me thinking. My bestfriend growing up had cystic fibrosis. At the time the life expectancy was not even 20. She passed away at 16. I spent a lot of time as a kid being her buddy in hospital. I feel lucky that Lib has never suffered from any major physical problems and that she is a happy healthy, loved and well looked after kid. All the rest of the stuff is just the way it is. The world will have to get used to it!!!! Thank again, Skye