Anna Van Der Post

Parents' Isolation

Anna, YOU are a Goddess .

I think that is the nicest things anyone has ever said especially as my son thinks I am the devil incarnate!!!

The community I dream of is NOT just for Asperger people but friends and relatives too. I know that some people (me too) have concerns about communities which on the surface appear to segregate from society - this is not my vision. I suppose that the way I see it is, that people in life tend to mix with people of like mind. Churchy people mix in church circles, environmentalists have been known to have their own communities and home educators band together etc. Aspergers is just another way of being. I believe that for some, a community is a place where what is normally seen as a disability can, in the right environment provide opportunities for personal fulfilment. I am introverted by nature so, on a personal level, I am uncomfortable in large social settings. I tend to work alone and in being separate, mixing only with a few very close friends and family members, my needs are met. I see my Asperger community (very small) being like I suppose, a family of like-minded, exceptional people who support each other. I do not see it as separate from the rest of community. But inreality as I said at the beginning most people segregate according to their beliefs and personalities anyway.

Edited by Anna Van Der Post