jlp

Translation please, diagnosis report (ADOS)

As I posted recently, L (5) was recently diagnosed with ODD having not met the full criteria for ASD.

We recieved the full written report of all the findings and I'm a bit bemused by the bit about the ADOS - I wondered if this meant that the ADOS score indicated ASD (although I'm aware that a diagnosis isn't made on the ADOS alone, it's more curiosity)

This is the bit I need help with

'L's overall score placed him above the Autistic Spectrum cut-off line for he showed difficulty with his social overtures, his reciprocal conversations skills and the use of gestures. In addition L demonstrated difficulty with reciprocal social interaction for he was unable to direct his facial expressions at the tester and the quality of his social overtures and social response resulted in the testing feeling awkward and, at times, challenging.

Therefore L also scored highly in the areas of quality of rapport and his ability to show communicative intent. He also lacked the ability to play imaginatively.'

I would have thought scoring highly didn't indicate ASD, is it the other way round?

I am reading this in the same way that you have. I would be seeking clarification if I were you.

Cat

The higher the score, the greater the severity of the ASD. There's an ASD cut off and an autism cut-off. Think J's was out of 21 and he scored 20, with 7 or something being the ASD cut-off and 13 or something being the autism cut-off. Hope that helps.