Sign in to follow this  
denise2

DLA

Does anyone have any experience of trying to get your rate of DLA changed due to a change of circumstances. When we were awarded middle rate care DLA our son was attending mainstream school. His stress levels got so high and his health became worse that we had to withdraw him and he is now home educated. He is 10 now and unable to go out on his own at all. If we go into town he often gets too stressed to walk back so we have to get the bus or a taxi. We also have to watch him when he's playing outside with other children as if they do the wrong thing he has a complete meltdown.I feel he should now be entitled to lower rate mobility as well but I'm unsure as to how to go about it. Any ideas?

Denise 2

Hello Denise 2

If you feel that your sons condition has worsened you can ask the DLA for a supersession to review the level of benefit he was originally awarded. I have to say Ive never heard of this (I think its just another name for a review)

May I suggest you contact the Disability Helpline on 08457123456 they will have access to your records and can advice you.

Best wishes, Loraine

Hiya we did this when we applied for the higher rate of mobility.

You need to write to them initially to let them know you feel the circumstances have changed then I'm afraid it's a case of going through the whole form filling process again and waiting for a decision.

You do need to know that they will assess your whole claim again and they will warn you that in some cases this has resulted in a reduction rather than an increase in the benefit awarded. (Don't let that put you off applying as I'm sure it's rare. I certainly have never heard of anyone who has had this happen)

If you don't get a higher award, you still have the right of appeal and it will mean that as they have looked at your whole claim again they will extend your claim eligability dates.

Good luck.

Ax

hi i asked for a supersession on my sons renewal for his dla as it had been dropped so it meant i didnt qualify for carers allowance anymore .My son as always got dla and when he was actually officially diagnosed with asd i thought that having the proffesional reports etc would help as when he was still at school the school filled all the forms in and i had no problems.Their argument was that he needs less care at 18 than he did before. Id argue the fact he needs more now as he doesnt got to school he is at home 24/7 as he has problems with going out and mixing the same as minxygals son but they put it to the panel and their decision stood and said i could appeal against if i wanted which i didnt thought id leave it as it stood rather than get nothing for my trouble, but good luck with it if you dont try you ll never know . lynn

Just to update you, I have now received the forms to claim for the mobility part. I was relieved to find that I do not need to complete the whole lot again and I only need to ask for mobility to be looked at. If I am happy with my current award for care allowance I do not need to do anything with the care forms other than write no change on them. Fortunately mobility forms are a lot shorter than care forms!!

Denise2 :)

Edited by denise2

That's a relief. It's almost time for us to apply for mobility for our eldest and I couldn't face going through the care section again just yet. Phew!

Good luck with it all. :thumbs:

Another update. We have today found out that our application for mobility has been agreed. It wasn't very straightforward as our son is no longer at school so they could not get all the information that they needed. I sent them copies of his reports including the fact that he had been awarded milk tokens, as he is unable to attend school due to his disability. A week later we recieved the award.

Denise 2 :)