Sign in to follow this  
Mumble

Discrimination

What is the legal definition of discrimination?

I believe that I am being discriminated against by my university:

- I am not being given the specific support I have been assessed as needing and funding been put in place for that was to allow me to compete on an equal basis with other students and as a direct result of this I am falling behind and my future options are incredibly limited

- I have been accused of not being proactive and seeking out the opportunities that a 'normal' student would - yet I didn't know that I was supposed to do this as it was all based on unwritten rules - I could do it, but didn't know I had to, but instead that's being used as evidence I can't do it.

- I have been refused access to the normal student support services (e.g. counselling) based solely on my disability because it presents communication problems they are not able to deal with.

Yet they say I am not being discriminated against so I am completely stuck. All I want to be able to do is to take part in university life on an equal basis to others. I don't think that's too much to ask. I can't make a fuss and involve outside organisations because I want and care very much about this degree but it's really getting me down and I don't know what I can do. I'm terrified about the future, and I can feel myself going downhill rapidly, my self-help/care skills have deteriorated (I'm sitting with piles of laundry that need doing, I haven't eaten a proper meal for 4 days, I can't deal with remembering to take my medicines) and those of you who will remember the state I was in last year will hopefully understand how much this scares me. :tearful:

Isn't there some kind of union for students, independent of the university? They should be able to offer you some advice.

Isn't there some kind of union for students, independent of the university? They should be able to offer you some advice.

Unfortunately it is not independent of the university - and it is run by students on sabbatical - and those students voted into these positions are those who are popular, outgoing etc etc and have no training or knowledge in the issues I face (I'm not blaming them, it's the system). I may have to go to them as I'm completely caught now as I can't go to anyone external because of the risk to my degree (which I'm not prepared to take as I've fought so much to get here I'm not risking it with less than a year to go) but internal people 'club together' and protect their own. I really don't think they understand how they are making me feel and the wider impacts it has on me.

Mumble first of all slap in a complaint to your Uni's disability service as they are nOT providing the services they have been paid to provide.

You comment about them clubbing together against you does sound a little paranoid. I know some certain traditional Uni's and certain "prestigious" departments have a history of ganging against those who dont fit the "personality" mould they want. But i was under the impression its very hard for them to get away with that officially now.

If the student union or some ASD/disability organisation can provide you with an Advocate then you can get the advocate to help you put your side across. Your tutors seem to be making assumptions based on no knowledge of ASD and the unique ways it affects you. they need educating.

The NUS have a disability officer, Adam Hyland, according to

resource.nusonline.co.uk/media/resource/social_model_briefing.pdf

(his email address is at the bottom of the second page.)

I'm surprised your own Student's Union don't have a disability officer - they are more than likely to be affiliated to the NUS so the NUS might be able to help.