Sign in to follow this  
ian stuart-hamilton

Anyone here aged over 40 or know anyone over 40 with AS or similar?

I'm new to this forum and my apologies for starting off by asking for people to take part in a university study.

My name's Ian and I'm a professor of psychology. I also have borderline AS, as does my dad and my son. So I'm not just doing this research out of professional interest.

Autism Cymru (for those who don't know - an advocacy group for people with AS in Wales) has commissioned me to run an on-line survey of what it's like to have AS (or other types of ASD) when you get older. Believe it or not, there is very little hard evidence on what happens to people with AS/ASD when they reach later life.

So what we need are as many people as possible aged 40 or over to do this survey. Although we especially want to hear from people in Wales, we will welcome responses from anyone with any type of autism spectrum disorder provided they are 40 or over. Note also that we will be glad to hear from people who think they have it as well as those who have had a professional diagnosis. Please could you encourage anyone who you think may be suitable to take part? The survey should only take about 10 minutes to do and it's completely anonymous.

The survey can be found at the following web address:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=rwmR...uBBHA2wJA_3d_3d

Please don't be put off by the 'survey monkey' name in the address - Survey Monkey is a highly reputable company and we're using their services.

I'll be delighted to answer any questions you may have either on this forum or you can contact my university email address: istuarth@glam.ac.uk

[At the risk of sounding rude, when I say 'answer any questions' there are limits to this! For example, I cannot offer a personal diagnosis or offer opinions on anyone's symptoms. It's not that I don't want to, but because psychologists have to conform to a rigid professional code of conduct, and offering advice of this sort is strictly forbidden].

Hello Ian and welcome to the forum :D

I have your expressions book and it's got me out of some 'interesting' situations in the past (I have AS) :thumbs: - though I might disagree with some of your entries... :whistle:

I'm afraid I can't help with your survey as I'm only going to be 29 years and 12 months on my next birthday (I refuse to entertain the fact that I am actually entering the decade ending in the age you seek) so won't be wrinkly or grey-haired/bald :banman: enough to take part. :devil:

I'm a professor of psychology. I also have borderline AS

There was a point to me posting when I can't help - I was wondering how you, particularly as a professor of psychology, define 'borderline AS'? We have had many debates on this forum about issues around diagnosis and particularly the increased prevalence of self-dx and whether one can have 'traits' of autism. These are particular issues I have because, and you see this a lot for instance on student forums, the potential exists (and does happen) for the diagnosis and difficulties of those on the spectrum to be ignored because of an increase in people saying 'oh, everyone does that' or 'everyone has those characteristics'. I think it's particularly interesting to explore where, if we talk about a spectrum, AS/HFA ends and the edges of 'normality' begin.

Just to double-check...has this been OK'd by the mods?

Bid :)

It has now. :)

Welcome to the forum Ian.

Mumble, can you start a separate thread in Gen Discussion for the discussion about borderline AS please? It would keep things tidier :)

K x

Mumble, can you start a separate thread in Gen Discussion for the discussion about borderline AS please? It would keep things tidier :)

Sorry, I was just quoting from the initial post which was why it was there. :tearful:

Mumble, it was a request. I wasn't telling you off, sorry if it came across that way. >:D<<'>

It could be an interesting discussion, so deserves its own thread, which I see you've started.

K x