Tally

Reducing Hours at work

It looks like I will be able to claim working tax credits, the disability element. The amount would be just under what I would lose if I dropped one shift per week at work, and if I am earning less I may even be entitled to more tax credits. It would be absolutely WONDERFUL to drop some hours and do all the things I am too tired to do at the moment. Like maybe even have some kind of life! Do some voluntary work with cats!

I don't know what reason to give to work though.

I don't even know if I have to give a reason, but if they say I have to give a reason I need one ready. I also need something to tell my colleagues who will wonder too.

If I say I don't need the money any more because I am claiming tax credits they will know that I earn too much to claim ordinary Working Tax Credits and may think I am claiming them fraudulently or I will have to tell them I get them because I am disabled and then they will think I am a scrounger. With what they think of me at the moment I shouldn't really mind what else they think, but I do. I am just worried that if I get reported for benefit fraud they might investigate and change their minds about my DLA. I certainly don't want to go into this with my colleagues.

If I say I am not coping with full time work they may think this is to blame for the recent interpersonal problems I have had with another member of staff, or move me back to days. And this is definitely something I do not want to discuss with my colleagues. Or do I? I am leaving soon, does it matter if they know about some of the things I struggle with?

Or I could make up some other reason. It doesn't have to be true, or wholly true. It just has to be believable. I have been considering saying that I inherited some money. I don't like lying because I am so bad at it that I get caught out every time. Then again, I have even been accused of lying by my employer when I told the truth, so what further harm can I do if I can't carry it off plausibly?

I know that no one can tell me what to do, but I would appreciate suggestions or input. Let me decide about the ethicality (is that even a word?).

1. You claiming tax credits is no ones business but your own.

2. "Work-Life balance" - wonderful phrase that, covers all eventualities & still tells them nothing. Say you want to get a better balance.

3. You shouldnt need a reason anyway. Just ask & see what happens.

Good luck - written in haste & stealth from work!

It looks like I will be able to claim working tax credits, the disability element. The amount would be just under what I would lose if I dropped one shift per week at work, and if I am earning less I may even be entitled to more tax credits. It would be absolutely WONDERFUL to drop some hours and do all the things I am too tired to do at the moment. Like maybe even have some kind of life! Do some voluntary work with cats!

I don't know what reason to give to work though.

I don't even know if I have to give a reason, but if they say I have to give a reason I need one ready. I also need something to tell my colleagues who will wonder too.

If I say I don't need the money any more because I am claiming tax credits they will know that I earn too much to claim ordinary Working Tax Credits and may think I am claiming them fraudulently or I will have to tell them I get them because I am disabled and then they will think I am a scrounger. With what they think of me at the moment I shouldn't really mind what else they think, but I do. I am just worried that if I get reported for benefit fraud they might investigate and change their minds about my DLA. I certainly don't want to go into this with my colleagues.

If I say I am not coping with full time work they may think this is to blame for the recent interpersonal problems I have had with another member of staff, or move me back to days. And this is definitely something I do not want to discuss with my colleagues. Or do I? I am leaving soon, does it matter if they know about some of the things I struggle with?

Or I could make up some other reason. It doesn't have to be true, or wholly true. It just has to be believable. I have been considering saying that I inherited some money. I don't like lying because I am so bad at it that I get caught out every time. Then again, I have even been accused of lying by my employer when I told the truth, so what further harm can I do if I can't carry it off plausibly?

I know that no one can tell me what to do, but I would appreciate suggestions or input. Let me decide about the ethicality (is that even a word?).

Hi Tally

Does the personnel dept , if there is one , know that you have a disability . If they do then it shouldn't be a problem reducing your hours. Just tell them that you are finding it difficult , tiring and too challenging .

If no one knows and you want to keep it that way then do what Pearl says and use the "work life balance " excuse. Of course if they don't know about your disability they could say " sorry we don't need part timers ,goodbye" and may feel they have no obligation towards you. Keep quiet about the real reason as people might not understand and cause you more problems.

Jannih

Hi.I don't think there should be any need for you to give an explanation.If you want to there are plenty around......used by plenty of people in high power careers....football managers,government high flyers etc etc.

.Work life balance,personal development ,career development [being a wish to develop voluntary work with cats with the hope of future job oppurtunities ] or even family commitments [i am sure you could count cats as family ] :) Don't say you inherited some monet though.....people will either resent your good fortune or ask you for money....or worse still ask for details about your bereavement. :unsure: Karen.

The Personnel Department do know that I have AS, but I have not told them that I also have ME, which is the main cause for my difficulties at the moment. I am just too tired to do anything other than work. I have not told them about it because it does not affect my ability to attend work or my work performance. I have not ever taken sick time over it. I prioritise work, for example, when I am too tired to get all the laundry done I make sure I have work clothes first. But it does severely restrict my life outside of work.

I work nights, which works well for me and makes me less tired than I used to be when I worked days, even though it is a more physical job. I am concerned that the moment I mention health/disability reasons (especially if I mention tiredness), they will say I cannot work nights any more. I could afford to come off nights if I stayed full time, but it would actually make my situation worse. They can make me wait 13 weeks for the change so I want to have a really convincing, watertight reason to make it happen sooner.

I can have two different reasons, one for the Personnel Manager and one to tell my colleagues. She may hear what I have told my colleagues, but the reasons I tell her have to remain confidential. I am not concerned what she thinks because she already thinks I am a big fat liar anyway. What I tell my colleagues won't influence her decision as I won't tell them until I hear the decision anyway.

The Personnel Department do know that I have AS, but I have not told them that I also have ME, which is the main cause for my difficulties at the moment. I am just too tired to do anything other than work. I have not told them about it because it does not affect my ability to attend work or my work performance. I have not ever taken sick time over it. I prioritise work, for example, when I am too tired to get all the laundry done I make sure I have work clothes first. But it does severely restrict my life outside of work.

I work nights, which works well for me and makes me less tired than I used to be when I worked days, even though it is a more physical job. I am concerned that the moment I mention health/disability reasons (especially if I mention tiredness), they will say I cannot work nights any more. I could afford to come off nights if I stayed full time, but it would actually make my situation worse. They can make me wait 13 weeks for the change so I want to have a really convincing, watertight reason to make it happen sooner.

I can have two different reasons, one for the Personnel Manager and one to tell my colleagues. She may hear what I have told my colleagues, but the reasons I tell her have to remain confidential. I am not concerned what she thinks because she already thinks I am a big fat liar anyway. What I tell my colleagues won't influence her decision as I won't tell them until I hear the decision anyway.

Tally.You don't have to tell your colleagues anything.....it is your own decision.Karen.

I know, but they are likely to ask why and I'd like to say something.

Can't you say:

"I'm selling my house due to the current economic climate and with the limited number of buyers that the credit crunch has led to, I need more hours in order to prepare the sale of my house/show people round/visit other agents etc..."

Their reply might be: "But you work at night Tally..."

To which you reply: "Yes, but I need extra hours that are usually spent at work to get everything else done so I can optimise my daylight hours to sort out the house business."

If they ask why you are selling your house and you don't want to say you are moving, you say "I am selling it to raise capital to support a family member affected by the economic crisis."

Sorted.

How about.''I am selling my house and need to be available during the day more of the time for prospective clients to view it ''.Sounds like a very logical explanation.People can't view the house with you asleep....well they could but only you know whether you would make a good feature to add to the value..... :devil::shame::lol:

To write my novel? :ph34r:

You would not believe the amount of people I know that have given that as their reason for reducing their hours.

My mam has reduced her hours, she is doing a college course.

How about to the people you work with, I wasn a job working with animals I've been offered a few voluntary hours with a charity and although things will be hard for a while it is worth it to be able to put it on my CV and applications.

Its not a lie you want to work with cats, things are always hard.

As for the mangaer I would be honest get a letter from your doctor and if they are iffy about it tell them you will take it further under the disability at work Act. Tell her you will be telling the people you work with a different reason as you want to protect your privicy.

First I am going to my supervisor who does my schedules and ask her which would be the best day to drop. I think I know, but if it's the day she chooses, it should be easier. We used to get on well before I fell out with my colleague, but although I am disappointed that she thinks I have lied, she doesn't seem to be treating me any different, so hopefully she will be OK about it.

I'm going to say I've been offered a part-time job working with cats, the job starts on X date (a month from when I put in the letter) and I will be unavailable for full time work as of that date. In actual fact, I am not going to approach rescue centres until after I am on my new reduced hours, but they don't need to know that.

If Personnel come after me asking for paperwork for tax reasons or anything, only then will I admit that it is an unpaid position, but say that this is confidential information. If I find out anyone outside of Personnel knows (including my own department managers) I will make a formal complaint.

First though, I have to wait until my tax credits application gets processed, because it might not go how I expect! I can't drop the hours until I am receiving the money anyway.