Sign in to follow this  
bluefish

Education Welfare

Hi, I had the welfare officer round today (at my request) as the school I had applied for turned ds down.We could of course pick holes in the silly two pages of reasons they dont want him but why would I want him to go where he is not wanted and by a Ht that has been infulensed by the old school! anyway I had decided to home educate and wanted to disscuss this with welfare officer to make sure I was keeping everyone in the loop. Anyway not only was she supportive of my decision but asked me to hang fire and allow her to approach a small village school and speak to them about ds before they recieve his documents to see if they could meet his needs. I was very wary of welfare but this lady seems to have mine and ds best interests at heart. She said she understands my situation and supports any desision I make however does not want me to make a knee jerk decision and wants to see if this school will welcome and embrase my son. I have stressed I am not prepared for ds to go to a school that might fail him and would rather H.E. she seems to understand.

Just a post really to say their are some nice and dedicated people out there......

Well I refused to send my son to school (for safety reasons because he had no TA to support him) than the LEA threatened me with the welfare officer.

So I rang the welfare office and explained the situation for my child missing school.

She was very supportive. Able to discuss the pros and cons and said as long as I keep them involved I was not to worry.

It was so lovely to have a supporting word when we were struggling with the LEA