Sign in to follow this  
loblob

Saying hi (new)

Hullo folks,

I'd like to be part of this forum out of couriosity due to my son and mine's ASD tendancies.

My son, aged 11 has an ADHD diagnosis and though I know ADHD can result in some ASD characteristics I think these two conditions are far more closely linked than generally understood.

He can be very blunt, bossy and appear inconsiderate at times. He obsesses over certain things and talks like he is the expert on everything. Language is one of his strong points but not necessarily comunication. He can take things quite literally but I am only really noticing this now as I believe his verbal abilities have compensated for this and he often asks the meaning of things and remembers them.

This is also so for social issues. I have taught him how to deal with certain situations and he takes note but if the scenario differs he can have troiuble adapting what he has learned

He doesn't like rough play in the playground and can get cross and hit out if someone won't leave him alone and we have struggles with his apearance as he can't stand having his hair cut or brushed and all his clothes 'feel wrong'.

At the moment CAMHS say this is all just the ADHD. His ADHD is mental rather than physical, and his biggest issues with ADHD is impatience, impulsive noise making and trouble controlling emotions.

He can also be paranoid and get very depressed.

He's great fun and loves anything to do with fish, trains, cars and war hammer.

I am waiting for my appointment to be assessed for ADHD/ADD but have always felt socially awkward and have little obsessions and quirks and am generally a bit nerdy.

I think I just want to get the feel for the forum and the topics to see if we 'fit' here!

I have a friends whose son, we have allways suspected has aspergers and is currently being assessed for it and I have previously worked with children with ASD, in fact I have a 5 year old at the moment being assessed.

I look forward to chatting with you guys.

[My son, aged 11 has an ADHD diagnosis and though I know ADHD can result in some ASD characteristics I think these two conditions are far more closely linked than generally understood.

hello, Loblob and welcome. I am new too!

there is a great book called the ADHD/ASD connection or something like that. My son, 13 dx AS was first diagnosed as ADHD but one certain, very important fact didn't fit. If taking part in one of his beloved activities, all hypercativity dissolved. His impulsive/hyper behaviour was due to frustration. My dr wasn't happy with the previous dr's dx so put him on a ritalin trial and lo and behold he withdrew completely into silence. Classic autism, he was totally non-communicative. I had him off those within a week and she said sorry but it hepled her prove to others i.e the school (" he is just naughty". WE even did another trial with dexedrine, but same thing again.

It was a harsh way to go, but considering we both thought differently to previous docotr and knew it wouldn't work, but I was up against such a brick wall. i am not suggesting you do this at all, but it just shows the AS?ADHD link is so close but so important to distinguish.

Of course he could be in the grey area in between. My friend some years ago called them pavement children. As in they are the cracks in the pavement, not one or the other therefore somehow not important?

I had a friend whose child did have texbook ADHD if there is such a thing! Her child couldn't talk about one subject for more than 20 seconds. I do not want to dx yur son but he sounds so like mine.

I love your description of yoursefl. My NT daughter, 12, says there is a new term out A 'Neek' Its somewhere in between nerd and geek and is an affectionate, loving term. Lovely! I think she is teaching the kids at achool a thing or two about tolerance and acceptance.

Sorry if the medicines I have mentioned aren't allowed, I am still getting the hang of what's acceptable for help and what's not

So I can't really advise you, sorry. WE ENDED UP HAVING TO START OVER TWICE WITH NEW CANHS (oops, sorry on caps, bad hands day - see my greet) CAMHS doctors twice just in the last few years and now his is on maternyity leave and we have asked for them to start from scratch, a whole new assessment. Some doctors can't see the woods for the tress (liek I told my son, that is an idiom meaning they are looking and see one thing only and cannot see other things that are important )

A fresh pair of eyes and ears might be the only way.

Good luck x

Edited by Kookoo123

Thanks for the welcome Kathryn and NickyB.

Kookoo,

I love the goldfish avatar! I usually use a Dory picture as she reflects my lack of short term memory.

Thanks for the heads up on the book, I'll look out for it. I'll go shopping online when I've finished up here.

Your boy does sound like mine. Mine can start retelling a story in town and continue to tell the same story all of the 3/4 of an hours walk back home (on a 'hyper' day). I often wonder if he is talking because he is hyper (most likely ADHD) or is he hyper because he is facinated by the subject matter(which would be more ASD).

You said bad 'hand day' I have those too due to hypermobile joints, or do you just have dfays that your hands are naughty!LOL!