Sign in to follow this  
Sooze2

DS has just been prescried Concerta xl

Yes I researched Concerta xl and J was prescribed this, it is a tablet they take once a day and so it slowly releases which is good to keep a ballance, when J took Ritalin he had to have it three to four times a day and often he missed doses which caused considerble inballances, with Concerta xl it is all ballanced for the person.

So no dips ect....

18mg is the first stage as it will be increased as he gets used to it so it sounds good that he is on a small dose to start off with.

Concerta Have a website if you look it up and it has further information on the effectiveness.

From all the ADHD meds Concerta XL was the most beneficial that I researched though there is side effects with all ADHD medication so do ensure he has full physical assessments too, so heart rate checks, weight and height recorded ect.....

Goodluck.

JsMum

That is the thing, when he was small he had a heart murmer detected (only once at 18 months) he also has a small hernia. Both things are mentioned on the leaflet that comes with it. It also mentions that anxiety, tension, or agitation are a big no no for taking the drug! He has all those in a big way without it! I'm going to take him to the docs to get his heart checked out and hernia looked at before I start him on the meds. Its meant to be on Saturday so hopefully the doc will see me before then.

Looks like school have been struggling, last Friday he was taken out of class. He had been told 3 times to stop swinging on his chair and making it go back as far as it could go so he has been warned that he would sit on the floor if he didn't stop. He ended up being sat on the floor so started head banging the wall in rage! Nice. He is arguing with the teachers and has majour problems with any teacher who hasn't actually tought him in the past - he only likes the ones who have taught him!

I will have a read later. Thankyou.

Sue

Edited by Sooze2