Sign in to follow this  
ScienceGeek

Disabled Students Handbook

As part of the disabled students group we are going to be writing a disabled students handbook to send out to students before they come to university. What kind of things do you folks think should be in it?

These are the sections we have so far (not necessarily in this order):

- Accessible Venues for places to go out

- Where to get help regarding benefits/money

- Information on the disability services

- Housing

- Getting involved with the SU

- Disability in sports

- Mental Health support

- Other contacts (various organisations such as NAS, DANDA etc.)

I brought this up at the latest disabled students group as the only information that goes out to students currently that tick the disabled box is a small leaflet from the disability services. This is something that I'm personally in charge of so I want to do a good job on it. :pray: Going to university is a big change for the average student but comes with extra stresses and organisation for disabled students so giving them the information to help is really important I think. :)

Edited by ScienceGeek

Most universities have one and if you go to their websites and to their disability support pages they will often have their's to download as a pdf.

Just bear in mind that what they say isn't always what they do. I'll PM you the one for my uni which looks wonderful - just a shame reality isn't the same as what is written. :(

Oh, and one thing I definitely wouldn't do (which my uni does) is mention specific disabilities. You'll never be able to mention them all, and by mentioning some (even as examples) you leave some out and that has all sorts of implications for how the included and excluded feel. (You'll see in my guide that ASDs aren't included for instance... :rolleyes:)

It's supposed to the be disabled equivalent of the student guide they send out to all students, about social life, welfare and such but from a disabled perspective. The participation of disabled students at our uni is very low and this is part of the attempt to change that.

It's supposed to the be disabled equivalent of the student guide they send out to all students, about social life, welfare and such but from a disabled perspective. The participation of disabled students at our uni is very low and this is part of the attempt to change that.

There's always the argument that the guide for everyone should be just that - for everyone - and having a separate guide singles people out. Is there a separate guide for females, for people from an ethnic minority, for mature students, for ... etc?