babnye1

Getting dressed

Hi

I have a paediatrician's appointment later this month for my son who has just

turned six. We have been referred by our GP as he has strong sensory issues (smells,

food, clothes). He also gets very upset about change or being hurried.

Anyway, getting dressed for school is always a bit of a chore. We try and have a

system in place but things can be turned on their heads by the wrong socks or

underpants (we are now down to only two pairs being acceptable!)

Variation on a theme today as I got changed and put on a skirt and tights. Ds

has mentioned before that he doesn't like tights and I nearly always wear jeans

these days (I work from home at the computer so no need to dress up!).

Today, he got so upset about me wearing the tights I had to change back into

jeans. Is it the change in routine? He almost looked like he would be sick. I

didn't look that bad honest?!!

Any ideas?

He also seems to hang on my every mood. I try to be really calm and patient in

the morning and don't rush him. I tell him it doesn't matter if we are a bit

late. But it is stressful and he knows, for example if I go silent or sigh

(after the 5th pair of socks)that I find it difficult so it makes him shout or

get upset.

I find it very difficult to deal with as I have a three year old to dress too

and husband goes out to work really early so is not around to help.

Hi, my son also has sensory issues with smells, certain noises, food, clothing etc. he also comments when i wear something 'different' (i'm usually in jeans and a top, with hair either down or just a plain pony tail, no make up), if i put even the tiniest bit of eye shadow on, or do my hair a different way, or put on a skirt/tights, ds used to get very upset. One day i just explained to him that sometimes i like to 'look nice' or feel pretty', to which he would reply that i did anyway and i said that he has certain clothes that are his favourite and make him feel happy and that i too want to feel happy about how i look, and just because i look different to him, i am still the same mummy inside.

With regards to his own clothing, have you tried letting him choose his own underwear etc when you are shopping? you could make it a special treat, just for you and him, a shopping spree and a stop off for lunch, with time to chat about his likes and dislikes, and discuss his purchases?

Sorry if i haven't been much help

Claire

I've had these issues with mine over clothes and after a while you get to know what will be acceptable. If he's able to tell you which clothes he likes and why, that's great, but mostly mine couldn't.

I do understand because if I touch man-made material, the sensation makes me cringe! So best to pick cotton which is much kinder to the skin. Socks with seams across toe (feel inside for a ridge) are a no-no. ( My son told me he doesn't like seeds in his socks- took me a while to work out what they were!)

My best tip from organising mine for the past 23 years is that if you find a pair of acceptable socks, by a dozen pairs! I've even bought shoes in my daughter's size and a size bigger for when she grows out of them as finding ok stuff is such a nightmare!

And a glimmer of hope... I thought school uniform would be impossible, but they've all acepted you have to wear it, like it or lump it!!

My son suffers from alot of sensory problems and these are the most difficult part for the management of his ASD.

He wears seamless socks which I buy from America.

He also says if the clothes feel uncomfortable, it feels like he is itching. Which is very frustrating.

We only buy clothes from cotton with as few a seams as possible. When we find something he likes we buy several of these in larger sizes.

The only thing I found helpful was sensory OT.

i didnt used to like wearing jeans next to my skin or velvet hated it used to make me anxious,upset and make me have meltdown didnt know why at time as wasnt of dx of having AS just dyspraxia but having to cope with certain materials is difficult i now am able to wear jeans don't like clothes after been washed then irnoed so tight hate that! feel awakard but know can't help it!